Advice Needed Flip Over Saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are a few flip over saws available ranging from the cheap silverline to the top end bank account oblivion etc has anyone researched these and if so can you give me your experience with them? The last time I used one was around 15 years ago and now there seem to be many more options available. I am a trade user. and need portability and quality mainly for cutting 8x4 MDF on site
Thanks

I don't think they are the right machine for cutting 8x4s. I have an old Elu (same as dewalts) and can't remember the last time I took it out to site and given the weight thay are only just portable. Rip capacity is quite narrow and its not easy to ballance a heavy sheet of board and feed it through straight.

You would be better off with a circ saw and rail system for when you need to cut up sheets and a decent size sliding compound mitre saw for the rest, the flip overs are a bit limited on capacity when used as chop saws.

Jason

I have an Elektra Beckum KGT500, and it stays in table saw mode 95% of the time. I have a cross cut sled I made, and it works OK for me.
Having said that, if I had the room I'd rather have a table saw and a SCMS, but I am extremely pressed for space.

Just re-read your original post and saw the bit about 8 by 4s - I'd have to agree with Jason.

As the more or less lucky owner of a Makita LF1000, i can only say that it's a compromise in every aspect. It's one of the better flip saws out there though. I checked the available ones when i got my Makita a year or so ago.
It's not a great mitre saw and not a really good table saw either.
Works for small stuff, though, and an absolute gem when it comes to timber framing. (Which is the traditional method of building houses here)
I would not suggest it for cutting down sheet goods. I'd use a tracksaw like the TS55 from Festool for that. Especially if it's a full sheet.

I had a large 12" DW one for a time - sold it to a friend who still uses it regularly.

As already said, not really suitable for large sheets as the table is not that large.
I use a cheapo B&D circular one with a clamp rail for that.

Rod

I had a large 12" DW one for a time - sold it to a friend who still uses it regularly.

As already said, not really suitable for large sheets as the table is not that large.
I use a cheapo B&D circular one with a clamp rail for that.

Rod

thanks everyone for replying it is food for thought.
I am searching a little wider now and will include site saws as there is a deal on the axminster ones at the while also in axminsters newest flyer there is a side panel saw at a reasonable cost I will be looking at all options

Latest posts

Back