Advice needed 60mm shallow inserts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza_0208

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to fir 60mm reflective inserts to Oak Posts. I guess 6mm depth is required. I have ordered a 60mm Forstner saw tooth bit, as I can not guess what else to use. I have fifty to do, has anyone any comments on the performance of those bits, or how else to do it efficiently I know the bit is just on the same size as the reflectors but I can't find anything bigger. I did find something else but £300 was a bit silly

Could you make a simple jig from some scrap ply / mdf and then use a router ? it would be far quicker.

If your router came with a guide bush you don't need to purchase a bearing guided cutter you can use a standard cutter.

Got all the tools, just got to raise the enthusiasm to to fifty hole!. Anyone ever cut a perfect circle 68mm round in a template with a router, bit too small and clumsy for that really isn't it, may pop in to see a mate and knock it up on in his workshop from Ali plate.

Thanks everyone.

gazza_0208":17rsogp0 said:
Got all the tools, just got to raise the enthusiasm to to fifty hole!. Anyone ever cut a perfect circle 68mm round in a template with a router, bit too small and clumsy for that really isn't it, may pop in to see a mate and knock it up on in his workshop from Ali plate.

Thanks everyone.
68MM HOLE?

All you need is one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DART-68mm-HSS ... 23206ec853

A piece of ply/mdf
Cut hole in above with hole cutter, one template ready for action. Depending on the actual material to be used, i reckon from making the template to doing all 50 could be done in well under 2hrs. Stopping for a cuppa included :mrgreen:

Perhaps I am missing the point but surely a single bit in a drill is quicker and easier than using a router

You set your depth stop on the drill
turn a handle and drill hole
swap post
turn handle and drill hole
It really does not get much easier than that

Saw tooth forstner bits are generally very good and quick

If it was me I would be doing it that way LOL

The jig is a simple L shaped piece of scraps one part is the fence and the other is the bed
clamp the jig to the drill press table Set your fence back so the post is the correct distance from the center and either on the left or right side of the jig bed set up a stop block simple repeatable accuracy

Roger

Under two hours, three teas and a thirty minutes to make a jig, sixty recess done, all very accurate, but whatever happened to plywood, it just shatters around the edges when drilled with a holesaw (which I had one the right size) MDF worked better. It was cold, very cold, as I rigged it up in the Carhouse, no heating, tahnks everyone for your input. (Would have bought the bit, but it would take days to get here). No complaints.

Latest posts

Back