advice! has anyone shared their workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

first up I hate working alone find it really hard to motivate myself to go out to the workshop. then once out their hard to not get distracted and go back in side.

I have a pretty good set up with a table saw, temp router table, 12inch planer thicknesser, lathe, festool track saw ext..

Would like to share my hobby / interest but don't know anyone who has like minded interests! I'm only 25. qualified woodwork teacher living in kilkenny Ireland.

Projects I have wood and materials for are : router table, Roubo bench, tool cabinet.

would love to get these done but would also like helping with others projects or 2 separate projects at once bit of help here bit of help there...

when I started out as a 15 year old my cheap tools wrecked my head. but now i have invested 1000's into it and its not the poor tools preventing projects being done its my motivation.

am i alone in this problem? would finding someone to share my workshop help? if so how would you go about finding someone?

regards Richard

I love being alone in my workshop with just the radio and some wood and my tools.

Have you thought about taking on a student and teaching him/her your skills?

No you are not alone.

I don't think sharing your tools would work - there is something about tools that is very personal AND it was your money that bought them, you have ownership of them.

If you are working as a woodwork teacher have you had enough wood at the end of the day? Should you have another hobby? Ideally one that gives you company.

HTH

Brian

thanks for the replies

other hobbies drinking/ gym/ rugby

don't actually get to build anything that stimulates me at work. very basic joinery/ materials. class work is aimed at 12 to 18 year olds so nothing to complex is possible.

rdesign":fx84matz said:
thanks for the replies

other hobbies drinking/ gym/ rugby

don't actually get to build anything that stimulates me at work. very basic joinery/ materials. class work is aimed at 12 to 18 year olds so nothing to complex is possible.

Consider going in early or leave late and build the projects at work

Brian

I prize the time in the shop too highly to share it. Maybe with my dad if he were still around or my son if he lived closer, but not with anyone else.

If you're getting bored that quickly is it the right hobby for you? It sounds like you're doing it because you think you should, but don't really want to. The subject itself should be so absorbing that hours disappear like minutes if you're really enjoying it.

My suggestion is leave it alone completely until it calls you back. Don't sell any of the tools....ever, one day you'll get the urge and start enjoying it properly.

Penny":320fg5u6 said:
I love being alone in my workshop with just the radio and some wood and my tools.

Have you thought about taking on a student and teaching him/her your skills?

Me too! It's the only time I get any real peace.
There are two workshops in my life, the aforementioned in the back garden which is off limits to the rest of humanity
and the one at work which I have to share.
My colleague is as sound as a pound in many ways, however he is a smoker. Of course, the filthy habit is banned in the workshop but he will insist on standing in the doorway whilst puffing away. This means a significant amount of his exhaust ends up back in the shop. I have taken to whacking on the 12 inch extractor fan whenever this happens, but the penny has not dropped.
So, OP, be careful what you wish for.

I too like being by myself with just the radio for company, it makes me forget about the harsh realities of life.
I can't wait to get in the workshop, even if it's just to tidy up, I think as has been said, you need to find an alternative hobby.

Baldhead

I've shared at various times with different people. Experience varied from very good to a nightmare. Basically you want to share with someone like yourself in terms of ways of working, then it becomes co-operative. Worst for me was a nice friendly bloke but he was extremely busy and filled the place with MDF, dust, his mates working for him etc and wrecking tool in the process.
But I'd worry more about your "projects": "router table, Roubo bench, tool cabinet" are not "projects" they are "setting up workshop jobs". What are you going to make when you get started? To me, making tool cabinets and a "Roubo bench", suggest deferring the day!

Jacob":1xiestu2 said:
But I'd worry more about your "projects": "router table, Roubo bench, tool cabinet" are not "projects" they are "setting up workshop jobs". What are you going to make when you get started? To me, making tool cabinets and a "Roubo bench", suggest deferring the day!

I think this is very true, workshop jobs, whilst nice to do, they arent immediately necessary.

Do you have a project in your house that could really be useful, maybe a audio visual unit for tv, surround sound etc or a computer desk. I would focus your thoughts on 1 project only and dont be too ambititious in the construction or detailing. Fitted furniture can look stunning just simply screwed together in mdf and painted.

If you do a thread on here about a project, you will find you then have others interested and involved with your project and you wont then be working alone.

Dont forget, if you are working full time and have a busy social life, there isnt much free time available. I find it helps to keep a project moving on, plan what you want to do on your project during the week, so you have a clear idea what goal you to achieve at the weekend. And keep your goal focused, like 'Im going to cut up the sheet material and do all the marking out'. If you set out with too large a goal or think about too many ideas, you will struggle to get going.

Im guessing you dont have a wife, otherwise, you would already have a massive list of projects and tight deadlines :D

Robin

thanks for all the advice guys!

don't have a wife or a house :) so my shop is the only place I have to build stuff for me.

maybe just not doing anything is ok till I really want to...

maybe its just the cold! gotta be easier when the shops nice and warm right ?

regards Richard

Jacob":10sbg8if said:

I hear what you say. I get more satisfaction out of making tools, gadgets etc than actual 'projects' these days. I started woodturning about 10 years ago, but haven't turned in 12 months.

Used to enjoy it, but the issue is what do you do with all items you turn. The house and friends are full of them. I have no intention of attending a craft fair to sell - I wouldn't be at all happy with the price I can get.

Even considered selling the lot last year and may do this year if the situation doesn't improve.

Brian

Back