Advice for newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whacky

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been lurking for a month or so now and have finally purchased myself a lathe. Well I actually bought a job lot in a clearance. Amongst other items I have got two lathes. One is a Draper WTL90 that has it’s own stand; it’s a reasonably large piece of kit and looks like a good lathe to start on. The other is a smaller Clarke lathe, slightly bigger than a mini lathe and it has a bed extender with it. Both appear to be in good cosmetic and working order although I haven’t had chance to inspect them to closely.

I have spare bolts, belts, allsorts of attachments and a full array of tools that look pretty decent, certainly adequate for a beginners needs.

My workshop (shed) is only big enough for one of these and I’m leaning towards the Draper but if you guys feel the other would be a better starter I’m happy to reconsider. Does anyone know the value of these two lathes as I have no idea and one will need to be shifted.

Also, I have some bits of wood that I can use for practicing my turning but nothing to finish them off with so if somebody could point me in the direction of some wax/polish ect that would be really helpful.

Finally is there a wood turning bible or DVD? Something that really is for beginners.

Thanks in advance

Whacky

The wood turning 'Bible' is generally reckoned to be 'Woodturning, A foundation course by Keith Rowley Apart from that I'd go for the bigger lathe personally. You can turn small things on a bog lathe but not vice versa. Sort out the tools and bits and pieces and post images here and amongst us we can tell you what is good, bad, etc.

Welcome to the slippery slope.

Pete

whacky":2fqx8ump said:
Also, I have some bits of wood that I can use for practicing my turning but nothing to finish them off with so if somebody could point me in the direction of some wax/polish ect that would be really helpful.

Welcome to the forum Whacky,

Cellulose sanding sealer and Woodwax 22,will do all you need for starters.

Might I suggest you have a read of the help & safety sticky at the top of this forum, might answer some points for you.

Hi, Whacky, & welcome to the Forum. you get good advice on here, and If you whent to a woodturning Club you can see what we do. HGB.

Yes I agree, visiting or joining a woodturning club will give you the chance to see turning close up and members will be able to help get you on the right path to success

GT

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Those stickys are an excellent read

I have purchased some woodwax now and bought a book.

Later I plan on attempting to turn a mallet.

Whacky

whacky":33vs0kcp said:
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Those stickys are an excellent read

I have purchased some woodwax now and bought a book.

Later I plan on attempting to turn a mallet.

Whacky

May help if you put a location in your profile , just the town you live in , so you may find out you live local to a forum member or turning Club

If you join a Club and the AWGB here is a link to the AWGB web site
http://www.woodturners.co.uk/

Then go down to " Branches " for a list :wink:

Hi Whacky!

A second vote here for joining a club. I've found it much quicker to learn that way than via books and bits.

All helps though....

Hi Whacky,

00020121.gif

If you need to buy any finishes and abrasives etc or just advice you can take a look at my website: http://www.turnersworkshop.co.uk/woodturnersupplies.html or drop me a pm or email.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi

Thought I would update a little;

I decided to keep the Draper and have off loaded the smaller lathe. I have spent the last couple of days building a workbench and have purchased some off cuts to practice with.

I tried turning a hardwood bowl but it didn’t go very well and in the end I have had to chuck it away. I have turned half a mallet so far and a honey dipper thing. On reflection attempting a bowl for my first go was a little ambitious. But I am reasonably pleased with my honey dipper but will have a go at a couple more.

I may have a go a turning a child’s stool for my little girl after a little more practice. I will post up some pictures and hopefully you guys we be kind enough to give me some advice to help me improve.

I do have a question – how do I mount a drill bit in my tailstock to aid with hollowing out of stuff? I assume it’s a special bit of kit, if so where can I lay my hands on one?

Thanks

Whacky

Hi,

you need a Jacob's chuck with the appropriate morse taper. It look sthe same as the chuck in a drill but bigger and with a morse taper the same as on you tailcentre.

Hope that helps

Pete

I can remember my first ever bowl.. Nearly killed me. A big lump of hardwood and no idea what I was doing. Bad mixture.

I'd second Bodrighy's suggestion earlier in the thread, and get Keith Rowley's book. Worth every penny, and blood is a pain clean off an unfinished bowl.

HI Whacky

Toolfix in Newark Road sell a few bits for lathes and Lincolnshire woodcraft at Stamford sell wood as well as some other bits.

There is also the local woodturning club The Village Turners which meets on the 1st, 3rd & 5th Saturday of each month.

If you would like to meet sometime drop me a PM.

john

Back