Advice for newbie turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been given a Record Lathe plus all the tools I need to get started. I'm already set up with good dust extraction and know I need to organise sharpening pretty soon.
However, I do find on-line tutorials pretty helpful and I'd like to get started properly. Looked on YouTube and there are lots to choose from.
I wonder if anyone can suggest a couple of links to videos that they know would be good starting points.
It'd be appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

Join a hands on club. Advice is free and there will be opportunities to see various tools in action.

Hello and welcome from another newbie !!!
I like "Captn eddie" he is a very nice guy with some pretty good information on his videos !!!

Appreciate all advice here. I'm keen to start, think I'll be patient and sort out sharpening before I get going as I know the difference it makes.
Also a chance to read / watch / learn before I start.
Will look out for clubs, nearby turners too.
Made friends with local tree person who can get me some interesting wood, it'll need to dry first though.
We'll see what happens.......

I'm nearby....... Loughborough but I'm not very good
I can point you towards a chap whose skill is eye watering if you get dead keen

Is this within driving distance for you.

Club Name
Erewash Valley Woodturners Association
Region
Midlands
Contact
Trevor Lewis
CONTACT TEL
01623 755156
WEBSITE
http://www.evwa.org.uk
CONTACT E MAIL
[email protected]
Day
2nd Wednesday of every month. Hands on on 4th Wednesday of several months and 3 Saturday demos throughout the year
Time
7pm - 9:30pm
Address
St Mary's Church Hall Greasley
Postcode
NG16 2AB

If not give them a call and they maybe able to let you know if there are any closer

I missed Doug,s post earlier pointing you in the same direction

lurker":12g3j7mh said:
Doug B":12g3j7mh said:
if you're interested in joining a club then the EVWA is held on the outskirts of Nottingham, watching live demos & being able to interact with the demonstrator is I think the best way to learn other than having lessons.

http://www.evwa.org.uk/wordpress/

There is a club at kegworth too Nice folks
If I was retired I'd join

http://trentvalleywoodturners.co.uk/

Retirement isn't a prerequisite Jim though granted most of our members are :lol:

A word of warning re the EVWA contact email I'm reliably informed by the secretary that they are having problems receiving emails so probably best to phone or PM me if you like.

Sorry it's been a month since responding. Playing with lathe and Christmas got in the way!
I really appreciate all advice. It's a bit of a trek to Greasley as I'm East of Nottingham.
I might be able to get to Kegworth though.
Getting the hang of things though, a few bowls that are reasonable and turning firewood into interesting pieces (still retaining their ultimate firewood use).
Thanks to all.
Have a good 2017
Nick

Back