Adjustable cabinet legs - how many?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S

Established Member
Reaction score
Building some wardrobes which I was going to sit on a plinth. However, having recently re-read this thread I'm thinking I could use kitchen cabinet type adjustable legs, especially since I have about 30 of them left from a kitchen project that never happened.

The question is - how many should I use? Each carcass is 1.2m wide x 2.2m high, made of 18mm mfc, 15mm mfc backs with double hanging space in one, single hanging space with drawers below in the other. ie quite heavy!

The suggestion in the thread above was to use 6 for a 1m wide carcass so should I go with 8 per carcass to be on the safe side?

Dave

I don't think so. Remember that the load is being transmitted down the outer side panels (and back panel) and so if you put your supports as close to the edges of the bottom as possible then that load will be transferred through them to the floor.

If you're going to put a couple of cwt. of books in the bottom then maybe 8 would be needed but if it were me I'd probably not even bother with 6 but just go for four as close to the edges as possible.

Unlike Roger I'd go for six. Not having support in the middle will potentially mean that the centre of the panel will sag under load

Scrit

6 as well, wind the middle ones up out of the way when you fit it, once square wind them back down to provide support.

With only 3, how would you raise/lower the back end to make sure it is plumb before fixing it to the wall?

I prefer to make a solid plinth myself so the whole structure is supported . So it's a 0 for me .

Thanks for the quick replies! Looks like I'll be going for 6 then.

Jason, I noticed when you last posted pics of a wardrobe project that you used a solid plinth. Have you found problems with adjustable legs, or do you just have more confidence in a solid plinth?

Nick - we (as in my wife and I) are the customer. Most importantly, any mistakes are just going to scream at me every time I'm in the bedroom, so I need to get it right!! :)

Dave

They aren't so wide but 4 will cause a sag in the middle. These are 1200mm wide each and have 6 feet per cabinet :
wardrobe_outside2.sized.jpg

wardrobe_int3.sized.jpg

Obeone":pb2sfcyv said:
3 would save you some money.

about £2 per cab I reckon!

Cheers

Tim

Dave , i tried them once in my build area . Not for me or what i want to do as a joiner . Having said that i would use them everytime in a kitchen .

Ah yes, Tim. I remember those pics - I like them very much.

tim":3bpnqnzl said:
Obeone":3bpnqnzl said:
3 would save you some money.

about £2 per cab I reckon!

Cheers

Tim

And as I stated in my post, I have a box of them sitting in the garage anyway!

Hmm... a scan of Obeone's other posts reveals that he maybe isn't messing about here but just has a sense of humour that I just don't get :?

Dave

Back