Adhesive for boarding to a wall?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to stick a sheet of mrmdf to a tiled wall in a sort of dot and dab fashion. No room for battens, so direct attachment is the only option, with a few strategically placed screws to hold it firm. I could just put loads of screws in but i don't want to do that. Would some kind of foaming adhesive do the trick or is it just a job for gripfix type stuff? Someone suggested that acrylic sealant will do the job but i'm not so sure.

Cheers.

I've had great success with PINKGRIP (although they should call it STINKGRIP - leave a window open afterwards) :-D

I find the polymer based adhesive/sealants are best, more expensive but do everything.

You can use them for sticking even in the wet, sealing internally and externally, surfaces generally don't need a primer, overpaintable and solvent free.

Does everything so saves carrying lots of different tubes around but like I say more expensive.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/soudal-fix-al ... 90ml/64585

Cheers chaps. A guy turned up on a site i was on with some of that polymer stuff to demo and it looks the biz. Fella i was working for bought a boxful but i haven't tried it yet.

Used pinkgrip a lot Naz and it does pong but i think there are non solvent types too which don't.

Been a change of plan. She now wants it plastered, so is pinkgrip/gripfill ok for sticking plasterboard to tiles? Stuck most things to most things in my time with the above but never plasterboard to tile. I think it will do the job unless anyone has experience of this not working?

Hello,

Do the necessary and hack the tiles off and use drywall adhesive! You could trust construction adhesive to stick to highly slick, glazed ceramic tiles and no key. I hope, I hope, I hope.....Peace of mind is worth the effort, IMHO.

Mike.

woodbrains":v374zk6c said:
Hello,

Do the necessary and hack the tiles off and use drywall adhesive! You could trust construction adhesive to stick to highly slick, glazed ceramic tiles and no key. I hope, I hope, I hope.....Peace of mind is worth the effort, IMHO.

Mike.

+1. That's exactly what I would do with the confidence it won't come loose. But then I was a builder so am a bit biased. :lol:

Bobn

I was also a builder and was certain someone would make that suggestion. I've never stuck plasterboard to tiles before because i would always remove them for the reasons stated. However, on this particular job, the reasons to leave them on are greater. I'll just have to hope that they stick well and i can't see a reason why they won't.

Mark A":3lscwsqp said:
I prefer Stixall. A bit more expensive than Pinkgrip/Gripfill, but much more versatile.
Yeah me to. Stopped using gripfill altogether since hybrid polymers became more available/cheaper. I now have confidence when using tubed adhesive- never had that before when using pinkgrip/grip fill.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a nearly full tube of plumbers gold. That is a polymer hybrid isn't it?

Think i'll go with stixall then, if it's that good.

Stixall here too used it for years on sites. We stopped using gripfill years ago, always found it skinned almost instantly when applied to anything then you'd have to scratch it up to get it to bond. Stixall just works

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

if the tiles are tight then blue grit (sold in most builders merchents) the wall and use what you see fit you could even skim it once its been blue gritted,
Paul.

slate1234":15pw9tsh said:
if the tiles are tight then blue grit (sold in most builders merchents) the wall and use what you see fit you could even skim it once its been blue gritted,
Paul.

I rang my mate (who is a plasterer) for advice and he told me about that stuff. In the end it was all for nought as i just wasn't happy with the idea of sticking plasterboards to tiles, so i rejigged things slightly and did it with battens and screws.

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps.

Back