Accurate Straight edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyavast

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm building up my tool kit at the moment and have been focusing on accurate stock preparation in the workshop. I'm starting to think I'm going to need some accurate reference tools. I bought a simple set of engineers bench squares which have turned the quality of my work around but I'm finding without an accurate straight edge a lot of my stock preparation is just guesswork.

I''m after something between 600mm and 1000m, for general precision checking and machine setting when required. I've looked at offerings from Starrett (which are pricey but well known for being a superior brand and should last my career if cared for right?) Maun, and Veritas.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this matter (especially the precision thing i.e how low should I go???) and perhaps recommend favourite brands and whatnot for investing in the near future. :D

Thanks guys.

Andy.

I have a 24"/600m steel straight edge from Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), which is fairly generic really (I have seen similar ones available in a number of brands, including Veritas), and a 50" aluminium straight edge from Veritas. I use the Veritas one far more, partly because of its extra length but also because its shape means that it will sit comfortably on a piece of wood leaving me free to crouch down to eye the piece of wood more accurately - the Woodcraft one is thinner and falls over a lot if you sit it on edge.

I can't say how accurate the Veritas one is as I have nothing reliable to compare it against, kind of a catch 22! One problem that I find with the Veritas one though is its colour - it has a black finish, which can make it hard to spot shadows (i.e. hollows) between it and the piece of wood I am using it to check. If you can get a light source behind it though then that eliminates the problem. A silver finish on the straight edge might make these shadows easier to spot without a light source.

All in all, I think the Veritas one is good value, and certainly accurate enough for me so far, and I'd be lost without it.

thanks pooka! The Veritas models appeal due to their price... they are a bit cheaper than the Moore & Wright and Starrett models engineers bench grade models I have looked at!

The fact the Veritas sits on timber on it's own is pretty cool, but I thought a straight edge should be supported at two points along its length and offered carefully to the work surface to be accurate? Is that method overkill for checking a material which will most likely move around of it's own accord anyway? :D

The 24" steel bar version from Veritas looks like it might be a winner, but those lumps of metal from Starrett do come highly recommended.... decisions, decisions.
:roll:

cheers

Andy.

I've got a reasonably cheap 1m long straight-edge from Axminster, which serves me very well when it comes to setting up my planer. I think they're about £25 now, but they are barely thick enough to stand on edge unsupported. Yes, it's bloody annoying when the thing suddenly falls over and goes BANG! as I'm trying to adjust the tables to suit!! :twisted:

Not quite as annoying as the familiar sound of a dropped spanner hitting a concrete floor! :twisted: :wink:

At the risk of sounding obtuse did I miss the problem with a bit of wood planed straight possibly with reference to a chalk line? :) 1 side flat, the other curved etc

Cheers Mike

Andy

I have the Veritas one, which is brilliant for checking the state of PT tables etc but find the wide base very poor for preparing flat faces/edges as it's too wide to be able to see visible light, bumps and hollows well, so have just bought this one too H Roberts.

By far the cheapest place I have managed to find for Starrett straight edges in the UK and delivery was within a week from ordering.

Cheers

Mark

PS No affiliation with web site other than happy customer. Took a good couple of browsing hours to find it :lol:

Mark: That is a good price... A good £30 cheaper than anywhere else I have looked. The starrett is definitely a more realistic proposition now!

G_ster: I'm not sure if you misread the previous posts and indeed the title of this thread, but I'm looking for an engineers straight-edge not a square. However, as you have brought it up I already own a set of engineers squares from Axminster and I find them to be very good quality and excellent value for money. Perhaps you could be more specific as a warning to others?

I'm sure Axminster would be more than willing to help you out if the square you possess is faulty to the degree you suggest.

cheers.

Andy

Isn't all this talk about engineering grade straight edges a little over the top? We are talking about wood here which is going to have some natural movement - probably at least the difference between an engineering grade straight edge and a 1m steel rule type straight edge. And it will then move even more when you take he finished article indoors.

Andrew

Point taken Andrew and a fair one it is too!

The main reason I'm looking for an engineering grade straight edge is because I don't want to limit myself (and the tools I choose to buy) to woodwork. The way I see my career going I'll be doing all sorts of jobs in the future which may involve a wide palette of materials, materials which are far more stable than wood for example plastics and metals. As you know these can be machined and checked to higher tolerances. I would rather not limit myself to a cheaper/less accurate alternative which would therefore put limits on the tasks I am able to perform.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks for your comments.

Andy.

andrewm":38imvpmu said:
Isn't all this talk about engineering grade straight edges a little over the top? We are talking about wood here which is going to have some natural movement - probably at least the difference between an engineering grade straight edge and a 1m steel rule type straight edge. And it will then move even more when you take he finished article indoors.

Andrew

Absolutely correct and valid point....until you ask someone like me who, like a Magpie, is attracted to shiny shiny new things. I know that I am buying and using tools that are waaaaaaay beyond my needs and skill level.

My validation of this is that I have plenty of spare cash to blow on things that I don't need but do like and I honestly feel that good tools give me a confidence that belies my limited skills and has probably elevated the quality of my output by a good 20%.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :wink:

Cheers

Mark

PS I bet I'm not the only one on this forum who would use that same defence :lol:

TrimTheKing":24xgyyop said:
My validation of this is that I have plenty of spare cash to blow on things that I don't need but do like and I honestly feel that good tools give me a confidence that belies my limited skills and has probably elevated the quality of my output by a good 20%.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :wink:

You sir are a long way down The Slope TM but the bottom is no where in sight. :shock: :wink:

You sir are a long way down The Slope TM but the bottom is no where in sight. :shock: :wink:

LOL, I think you're right. My big concern now is that I am accruing many beautiful metal ornaments! I just don't seem to have the time to get out and make anything of any consequence. :oops:

Never mind, sure it will come soon.....

Mark

Back