Accoya Timber Off-cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":2w7af7ie said:
With respect regarding your pm, you're obviously also after wood.

I think you could have been a little more transparent in your original post with your intentions for the offcuts. At around 25 pence a pellet and by your own admission having turners that produce 700-1000 an hour, this is big business ! The forum is full of kind people no doubt willing to help, but i think things need to be clear from the get go when you start asking for things.
 I admire you're probably looking for small offcuts so you dont waste trees having to buy large pieces - I was amazed to find what people make here from the tiniest of pieces, so much so I introduced new storage for my own smaller offcuts.
If however you're after cheap wood to profit from, again I think you should make your intentions clear. Perhaps after a few more helpful  posts, (not just plugging your business) I may feel differently. Till that time, sorry.

Coley
Thanks for your response. My only reason to send you a private message was to comply with the Forum Rules as I did not want to be seen as publicly touting for business. I think that everyone can see from my original post that you are correct in saying that I am looking to purchase wood, but first I need to locate some and for this I am using the UK Workshop Forum – I feel that I have been transparent in that regard.

I am definitely not “after cheap wood to profit from”. I work for a tax paying profitable business and we pay a premium price for timber offcuts that people, by their own admission, normally throw away or burn so this is a win/win situation for all parties.

I would strongly refute the assertion that I have been “plugging” our business. Again, as per the Forum Rules, at no time have I mentioned our business name and when I have been describing our methods and product it has only been as a direct response to any queries that you have raised with me. Indeed, you were the one to have uploaded a photograph of our pellets and accompanying label to the Forum, for which we are of course grateful.

I have tried to inject a little humour and light heartedness into my posts. If this has been read in a different vein to which it was intended or taken too seriously then I can only apologise. For instance, I would certainly not encourage anyone to be licking timber :)

You are correct that the Forum does seem to be full of kind people. It is also full of Business Owners and Employees who are asking questions and seeking answers in the same way that I am. I am hoping that these people will be able to assist me in locating timber offcuts as per my original post. As I stated in my private message to you I am here to receive as well as give advice.

Not sure what these Accoya bungs are to be used for, but in my recent experience Accoya is a bit like green oak and reacts badly with metals. It seems to leach out whatever treatment has gone into it and rusts steel like nobody's business. Don't know what else it reacts with.

Phil Walker@Appleby":mz5xan4n said:
owen":mz5xan4n said:
I have some. Located in Buxton, how much do you need?
Hello, how much do you have?
Hi again Owen,
I am actually in Ashbourne so could sort out getting any you may have at all, just after any you would be willing to sell please.

lurker":216xjl2g said:
Phil,

For what it's worth, I thought your posts were honourable from the off
Thank you lurker I appreciate that, I think this forum is great and enjoy helping out anybody I can, but also getting help from the same people.

lurker":3uuxvhit said:
Phil,

It may have been my own personal experience that caused me to think the way i did. I still feel he could have been more transparent though.

I rang up my usual supplier for an item, but then thought I'd also try a few other places. One of the things I stressed was it was needed urgently to replace something that had become dangerous/unusable. My usual supplier could have had it to me within 3 days. Following the conversation to tuther place, I had the guilt trip put on me for not ordering from them- the only thing I could put this down to was greed and wanting to make the sale.
I waited for about 3 weeks after originally being told it would be a few days more then my usually supplier. Numerous phonecalls were made chasing the order, I was getting desperate- it was either let down customers, or do something I'm not happy of doing but felt backed into a corner to do. My only boss who'd got me through my apprenticeship and gave me employment for 8 years asked me, even demonstrated how to work dangerously and I said no.
That's what I had to do to get the job done and keep people happy. I imagine being in an office takes you away from a real life workshop environment where not  having the correct tool can cause accidents ! You may have a moaning customer chasing an order, but the result of getting an order, then not fulfilling it,can have dramatic consequences ! I'd like to say it's experience that saved me from getting injured, but I think it's more probably luck and stupidity .

I feel karma has been restored a little now.

Coley

ColeyS1":9xvdnfed said:
lurker":9xvdnfed said:
Phil,

It may have been my own personal experience that caused me to think the way i did. I still feel he could have been more transparent though.

I rang up my usual supplier for an item, but then thought I'd also try a few other places. One of the things I stressed was it was needed urgently to replace something that had become dangerous/unusable. My usual supplier could have had it to me within 3 days. Following the conversation to tuther place, I had the guilt trip put on me for not ordering from them- the only thing I could put this down to was greed and wanting to make the sale.
I waited for about 3 weeks after originally being told it would be a few days more then my usually supplier. Numerous phonecalls were made chasing the order, I was getting desperate- it was either let down customers, or do something I'm not happy of doing but felt backed into a corner to do. My only boss who'd got me through my apprenticeship and gave me employment for 8 years asked me, even demonstrated how to work dangerously and I said no.
That's what I had to do to get the job done and keep people happy. I imagine being in an office takes you away from a real life workshop environment where not  having the correct tool can cause accidents ! You may have a moaning customer chasing an order, but the result of getting an order, then not fulfilling it,can have dramatic consequences ! I'd like to say it's experience that saved me from getting injured, but I think it's more probably luck and stupidity .

I feel karma has been restored a little now.

Coley
Thanks for your response.  I am a little unsure as to what the exact issue is that you are referencing in your last post.  I would urge you to contact our Customer Services section either by telephone or by e mail (any paperwork you have will have an email address on ) so that we can pinpoint the exact problem and address this for you.
At the end of the day we manufacture tapered wooden pellets and I am simply on here to try and source some timber as per my original message.

Phil Walker@Appleby":2wve03vc said:
At the end of the day we manufacture tapered wooden pellets and I am simply on here to try and source some timber as per my original message.
Couldn't have put it better if I tried. Thanks

Coley

Latest posts

Back