Accoya Timber Off-cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Walker@Appleby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for anybody who has or can get hold of any Accoya off-cuts. I am not after premium quality boards, just literally any off-cuts that you would normally burn or put on a scrap pile. I would need them to be at last 450mm long and 25mm x 25mm. Accoya is a fairly new timber I know but if anybody out there knows of any could you please let me know. I can sort collection of this from my end.

Ill have a look in the morning, Ive had a cull so not sure if I have much but board ends less than about 600mm tend to be no use for joinery so probably have a few kicking about.

Cheers Robin

RobinBHM":23yuqkpn said:
Ill have a look in the morning, Ive had a cull so not sure if I have much but board ends less than about 600mm tend to be no use for joinery so probably have a few kicking about.

Cheers Robin
Thank you this would be very much appreciated, I am only making tapered wooden pellets with them so any you have would be great.

Phil Walker@Appleby":1syrangc said:
RobinBHM":1syrangc said:

Cheers Robin
Thank you this would be very much appreciated, I am only making tapered wooden pellets with them so any you have would be great.
Out of curiosity, how do you do that ?

Coley

ColeyS1":vvtfk59m said:
Phil Walker@Appleby":vvtfk59m said:
RobinBHM":vvtfk59m said:

Cheers Robin
Out of curiosity, how do you do that ?

Coley
I work for a family run business that are into the fourth generation of turning these pellets/ bungs. The machines were running in the age of steam on the old leather belts and began life turning the bungs for beer barrels in breweries.
Every pellet/bung is turned individually.

I'm aware of that ,I buy them from you ;) I was just interested what the machine looks like. I'm struggling to see how they'd be done on a lathe in mass production. .....?

Coley

941a52f06e1fea0c24dea4552af592ff.jpg

The mdf ones must be really tricky ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2j40icod said:
941a52f06e1fea0c24dea4552af592ff.jpg

The mdf ones must be really tricky ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
It is just a small lathe and we have a few ladies who sit there and turn between 700 to 1000 per hour (mainly ladies because they have more nimble hands to pick the cubes of timber up).
I cant put any pictures up as it is a well guarded secret and I would get shot :lol:
Also the mdf ones are a lot easier to turn especially with the special cutters with use.

Out of curiosity would I get discount if I bought the accoya pellets back for supplying the timber ?
Im not sure how big the offcuts are you'd need. I don't know the minimum sizes you'd need- its your closely guarded secret :)
Are the pellets for your own personal use or are you going to sell them on to joe blogs for huge profits ?
I've had a few euro oak pellets that look remarkably like American oak. Is all your wood sourced this way ?

Coley

ColeyS1":f7ofr5md said:
Out of curiosity would I get discount if I bought the accoya pellets back for supplying the timber ?
Im not sure how big the offcuts are you'd need. I don't know the minimum sizes you'd need- its your closely guarded secret :)
Are the pellets for your own personal use or are you going to sell them on to joe blogs for huge profits ?
I've had a few euro oak pellets that look remarkably like American oak. Is all your wood sourced this way ?

Coley
In reference to your European oak pellets, when we buy the timber off-cuts and it comes to the factory, it is all handled by our very experienced machinists who have been doing this for many years. The main man down there is actually who set up the business years ago for the wood pellets, he was also a college lecturer in woodwork and timber science and can literally recognise timber by smelling it, cutting it, sight and taste :D so I would of hoped the ones you had would of been correct. If you do ever feel they aren't right then please get in contact and we would happily exchange them.

With respect regarding your pm, you're obviously also after wood.

I think you could have been a little more transparent in your original post with your intentions for the offcuts. At around 25 pence a pellet and by your own admission having turners that produce 700-1000 an hour, this is big business ! The forum is full of kind people no doubt willing to help, but i think things need to be clear from the get go when you start asking for things.
 I admire you're probably looking for small offcuts so you dont waste trees having to buy large pieces - I was amazed to find what people make here from the tiniest of pieces, so much so I introduced new storage for my own smaller offcuts.
If however you're after cheap wood to profit from, again I think you should make your intentions clear. Perhaps after a few more helpful  posts, (not just plugging your business) I may feel differently. Till that time, sorry.

Coley

phil.p":34u6e93p said:
He's the only man in the world that can ... that was exactly what I meant. Many species are so similar that no one in the world can do that without fail without a microscope.
Oh ok, this was just meant to be a light hearted quote, perhaps taste was a little far fetched but it was only meant as a joke, but I agree umder a microscope you perhaps could identify them but this man is very good at identifying different species, sorry if I caused offence to yourself

I would say its quite difficult to identify American white oak from European. I think it would be hard to do by visual inspection alone (no doubt possible under a microscope).

Smell perhaps, but I might get a few funny looks in the workshop if I started licking the boards!

Latest posts

Back