Accoya cracking in the sun?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Made a large door and frame out of Accoya which I fitted today, it's in a south facing courtyard that is a real suntrap.

While I was fitting the frame the door was just lent against the wall in the sun, when I came back to the door quite a few hairline cracks had appeared in the stiles, I moved the door out of the sun and the cracks seemed to close up.

I am a bit worried as I recommended Accoya as the door gets lots of sun I said it would be more stable.

The door was primed with Dulux aluminium primer and had a topcoat of Dulux ultimate Opaque in a light green colour, Dulux technical told me this would be fine.

Anybody else come across Accoya cracking in the sun, I thought the whole idea was it didn't do things like this?

Doug

I'm glad I saw this. I've never used it yet but thought the same as you. I've used tricoya sheets a lot and that doesn't move at all. Was it just one piece of wood that split or all of it ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No help but an observation. My windows are accoya and some face full sun, been in 2 years and no sign of cracking, these were finished in a technos paint.

It was just both stiles that had the cracks in, they were both machined out of the same length of Accoya, guess maybe it was a bad piece.

I have never had any problem with it in the past, typical that it happens on a big job that is in full view.

Saw this nice little project on the Accoya website :shock:

https://www.accoya.com/projects/project ... -kentucky/

I will contact my supplier today and see what they have to say.

Doug

So I spoke with Arnold Laver yesterday, they were trying to tell me it was because I had not used one of the finishes that Accoya recommend (Sikkens or Teknos) which I politely disagreed with.

I asked them for the phone number of a rep from Accsys (who produce Accoya) and gave him a call.

He was very helpful and knowledgeable. The finish I had used was fine, the problem was with the Accoya. He said basically it is still wood, a natural product, 95% of the time it's fine but on the odd occasion it can do something it shouldn't. Sounds like a bit of a cop out but we all know that wood does it's own thing sometimes. He said to keep him informed and he would standby whatever I wanted to do (whatever that means).

I will go and look at the door in a few days to see what it's like.....

Did it have 4 coats of paint ? 2 aluminium and 2 top coats ? The top coat you used sells it self as being flexible as well doesn't it? It's almost like they didn't dip that piece of timber long enough....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back