Aluminium Wood Primer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBaz

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am refurbishing a pair of built-in cupboard doors from a house build sometime in the 19th century.

As you can imagine, there were many coats of paint of unknown manufacture be removed with my plumbing blow-torch and scraper. I'm sure that at least one layer will have been lead based. I also had to replace the moulding round the panel with new wood.

I have sanded them to the point where I am happy to paint them, although there is still some of the original primer showing, so my next step is to prime them. In the past I have used an aluminium wood primer for this as it covers anything and will seal any old coatings, However, none of my local paint shops stock aluminium wood primer, though it is still available from the manufacturers.

Admittedly it is a while since I last bought any and given that nobody local stocks it, I'm wondering whether I should be looking at using a more modern product.

Does anybody have any experience of more modern primer to cover and seal old painted wood?

I’ve used this on mdf and plywood etc with excellent results-see photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I use the Zinsser to block out water stains, for example when the roof leaked onto a ceiling. Apart from that I cannot really get on with it.
Aluminium primer is my default setting on anything outdoor or refurb work such as your job. Inside it is water based primer/undercoat. I have usually used the likes of Toolstation or Leyland/Johnstones paints. Once these are on it's always a water based finish.

Colin

Aluminum is still available and is good stuff. I like the Zinsser stain block primers as well,I prefer the water based one. The Zinsser primers are lower build which keeps the moulding looking a bit crisper which I like.

The basic Zinsser primer is good stuff.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-bulls-eye-1-2-3-primer-sealer-1ltr/10135
I am old school and always insisted on spirit based paints etc but am very slowly coming round to the idea that some of the acrylic paints are actually quite good these days.

They also do a shellac based version called Zinsser B-I-N which is very gloopy, you will never get the brush clean. A chap in my local decorator centre always says "B-I-N primer, bin the brush!" and laughs, it's very tiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i-n-shellac-based-primer-sealer-1ltr/29661

Back