About adding materials to the library in SU.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
I went into MATERIALS, clicked on create MATERIALS - BROWSE FOR MATERIAL IMAGE FILE. Got to the WOOD folder in SU, but there where no files. When I had a look via COMPUTER the files in the WOOD folder had a .skm extension.
In the WOOD folder via SU, the CHOOSE IMAGE WINDOW doesn't recognise the .skm extension. I have ALL SUPPORTED IMAGE TYPES selected in the FILES OF TYPE drop down menu.

Can anyone describe to me how I can include the .skm extension into the windows FILES OF TYPE drop down menu in the CHOOSE IMAGE window so that I can include that file in with the WOOD folder in MATERIALS?

God that sounds so confusing. I hope someone understands what I am on about. Good luck.
Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

I understand what you're saying, I think.

The SKM file contains the JPG of the material plus information about size, opacity and the other parameters you can modify under the edit tab.

When you open other libraries, Asphalt and Concrete for example, do you see materials there?

It seems to me that I've heard of this disappearing material library thing but I need to do some checking to give you a proper answer. I'll get back to you.

Dave

Another question or two.

The SKM file is really a ZIP file contain some XML files a thumbnail of the image and, inside a folder, the image file itself.

When you navigate to the Wood folder you see a bunch of SKM files, correct? Copy one of those SKM files to your desktop and change SKM to ZIP. Then open it. What do you see?

In the materials browser in SU, do you see an entry for Wood or is it gone entirely?

WAIT A MINUTE!

Are you wanting to create a new wood material? The materials in the various folders in SketchUp should already be available to you. Create Materials is for adding more. You access the existing materials via a drop down menu in the Materials Browser (on PC. Click on the brick wall button on Mac and then the drop down)

The Create Materials thing is used when you have an image file such as a JPG, or PNG of the material. Once you create the new material and save it to the desired library, it gets added to the folder as an SKM file.

Hi Dave.

You asked:-
When you open other libraries, Asphalt and Concrete for example, do you see materials there?

No. All of the folders look empty.

When you navigate to the Wood folder you see a bunch of SKM files, correct? Copy one of those SKM files to your desktop and change SKM to ZIP. Then open it. What do you see?

In the "Wood_Pole_Utility.skm" file, these are the files within:-
document.xml
documentProperties.xml
doc_thumbnail.png
Wood_Pole_Utility_1.jpg
references.xml

In the materials browser in SU, do you see an entry for Wood or is it gone entirely?

The wood folder is there.

Hold on.
I am so sorry Dave. I have totally waisted your time.
When I looked in the WOOD folder, it looked as if there where more files than I had in the SU WOOD dropdown menu. I was wrong. I have just counted them. There are 45 woods, and 45 files. :oops: I feel a right tit. :oops: :oops:

I can't apologize enough.

No worries, my friend.

So when you open the wood folder in the materials browser, do you see thumbnails of the various wood materials or is it blank? Something like this?

7537c4b6.jpg

Latest posts

Back