Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with an AAA five years ago.
Im having scans every three months now, but the last scan showed a large increase in size so I expect to be referred to a vascular surgeon any time next year.
Having open surgery in itself doesnt worry me in making a decision, if there are no other issues during the assesment that prevent this.
However Im worried about things like strokes, blood clots etc and more so about my quality of life should I get through the operation.
Theres very little recent info on the net so if anyone has gone through this proceedure or the endovascular stent proceedure Id welcome your comments.
Best regards
Mike

A chap I worked with died from an AAA, so it has to be done, side effects or not. I guess, like many things in life, that you just have to deal with it and get on with life as best you can.

G.

I saw this operation performed on a Tv program, might have been surgeons at the edge or something but they fitted some man-made component to replace the defective one. This component was like something made for NASSA, it was extremely high quality. To these surgeons doing the job it will be no different to you or me undertaking some woodworking joint so I know it is hard but try and relax and you should have a better quality of life once done and we wish you all the best, keep yourself occupied and this helps stop the brain from overthinking

I'm a vascular anaesthetist in Oxford. I anaesthetise patients for both procedures most weeks and have done for 25 years. Endovascular repair quickly became popular because the early (30 day hospital mortality) is lower but that survival benefit declines as the years go on and if you survive a long time there is a survival benefit the other way ie better to have open repair. If I was having an aneurysm repair I would definitely opt for open repair not endovascular if possible (I'm nearly 60). So my advice to you is to do your research - pretty easy to read a few opinions on line eg search for 'open versus EVAR for AAA' on google and then have a conversation with your vascular surgical team. Don't be scared to ask robust questions. You can even look up the individual hospital and surgeon mortality rates for AAA on VSQIP | Vascular Services Quality Improvement Programme. All the best for your treatment

I'm a vascular anaesthetist in Oxford. I anaesthetise patients for both procedures most weeks and have done for 25 years. Endovascular repair quickly became popular because the early (30 day hospital mortality) is lower but that survival benefit declines as the years go on and if you survive a long time there is a survival benefit the other way ie better to have open repair. If I was having an aneurysm repair I would definitely opt for open repair not endovascular if possible (I'm nearly 60). So my advice to you is to do your research - pretty easy to read a few opinions on line eg search for 'open versus EVAR for AAA' on google and then have a conversation with your vascular surgical team. Don't be scared to ask robust questions. You can even look up the individual hospital and surgeon mortality rates for AAA on VSQIP | Vascular Services Quality Improvement Programme. All the best for your treatment
Thankyou

At age 67 I had a major problem with AAA. When the aneurism got to be 65 mm dia. surgery was needed - not optional !
I was lucky to be referred to an excellent endo vascular surgeon. It was a very complicated repair and the "implant" had to be made in Scotland as nobody in Aus could supply. I ended up on the operating table for 7 1/2 hours ! Then one day in an intensive care unit, and was able to go home the next day.
A couple of months later I had to have a few endovascular stents in my left leg.
Now 5 years later and doing quite well.
You will probably have to take some long term medication to reduce the risks of any clotting, and possibly some blood thinners ( you will also need to ensure your blood pressure is under control ).
The only annoying thing is that I bruise easily because of the blood thinners !
I am sure you will get through the operation just fine, the skill of these surgeons is quite fantastic and the medical imaging used for endovascular surgery is great.
When I first accepted that I needed this procedure, I was quite stressed and went through the same survival doubts. In the end, I accepted , relaxed and came out the other end in much better condition than I thought possible.
Chin up, and let us know how you get on.

I thought you could have fixed my boiler!!

You have probably knocked out some of my relatives!!

I had a triple bypass almost 6 months ago. Scared the cr@p out of me at the time, but it's a totally routine procedure for the teams that perform it. They do this stuff day in and day out. If it needs doing, it needs doing. The risks are worse for doing nothing, so you just have to bite the bullet.
Not an AAA, I know, but probably comparable.

Amateur,
a good friend in the butchery dept, local hospital....says.....
apart from relaxing if u can about this is to get fit.....JUST A LITTLE.....
the fitter u are when u go in the better u come out.....

also please note that there are side effects to blood thiners....some may suit u but others have bad side effects...ask me how I know......
look out for headache's, trembeling, joint pain etc....90% never suffer side effects but just be aware......
they just creep up on u.....it's easy to check via google.....
side effects often take 3 weeks to start to show, oh and keep some sticking plasters in the workshop....
take care.......
it took a 6 night stay in ITC to get my drugs finally sorted......

My dad had an aortic replacement operation done nearly twenty years ago. He is 99 years old now. At the time he fell out of an apple tree and the chiropractor he went to over his bad back spotted it and referred him. He was told at the time by the surgeon that the aorta was about to burst and he was lucky.

nearly twenty years ago. He is 99 years old now. At the time he fell out of an apple tree and the chiropractor he went to over his bad back spotted it and referred him. He was told at the time by the surgeon that the aorta was about to burst and he was lucky.
Well done him. I didn't think anyone else of my age would be stoopid enough to fall out of an apple tree!
But on the actual topic, I lost one of my best friends to an undiagnosed aortic aneurism. The OP has the chance to avoid this; get the surgery done

Hi Mike sorry to hear your Aortic problems.
My Dad had an Aortic bypass that was good for 18 years (on top of his triple heart bypass). What killed him eventually was the bloody Xmas tree my parents had in the garden in a pot which they dragged in every year. Of course every year it got bigger and bigger and consequently heavier and heavier until he he tried to carry it outside after one Xmas and tore his main abdominal Aorta at the top and bottom.
He was driven from Portsmouth to St Thomas' in London and they did an emergency repair sleeving the aorta from the inside, however this now cut off the blood supply to his kidneys and meant dialysis for the rest of his life, which wasn't long as he picked up an infection after 3 months and died.
The engineer part of my brain still can't understand why instead of a sleeve the surgeons didn't use a mesh stitched around the outside, but I'm a Sound Engineer come Musician, come Luthier and they are the medical experts. It's done and dusted now.
I'm sure you're not interested in my saga but for me the lesson to be learned from this is, as we get older whilst we may still be as very adept at many tasks (maybe a bit slower) our plumbing is not so elastic so be careful with the heavy lifting folks!
Happy Xmas
G

I was diagnosed with an AAA five years ago.
Im having scans every three months now, but the last scan showed a large increase in size so I expect to be referred to a vascular surgeon any time next year.
Having open surgery in itself doesnt worry me in making a decision, if there are no other issues during the assesment that prevent this.
However Im worried about things like strokes, blood clots etc and more so about my quality of life should I get through the operation.
Theres very little recent info on the net so if anyone has gone through this proceedure or the endovascular stent proceedure Id welcome your comments.
Best regards
Mike
My father collapsed with a burst Aorta when he was in his mid 60s and luckily for him he was just a few miles from a local Hospital in London. he had 7 hours open heart surgery . The Surgeon cam to see him after the op and told him that he was extremely lucky to survive a burst Aorta ..most don't.
Anyway my Dad went on to live for nearly 30 years until he was 92 years old and the last 7 of those years I cared for him as he had Dementia. He was a tough old bird like they all were of that Generation.

Amateur, I hope your outcome is s happy one, I think this thread proves the real value and point of this forum, helping one another. Merry Christmas.
yes it does. Thank you all.
I've got another scan on 18th January.
With the hospital crisis I need to find out where to go if it bursts, the uncertainty of ambulance cover, and if it's now reached the point of referral to see a vascular surgeon.
It grew pretty quickly last time from 3.6cm to 4.5 which is just outside the size for instant referral for a large increase in size during the wait and see period between scans.

thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
I hope you all have a great new year.
maybe sometime before I post again.
best wishes
Mike

yes it does. Thank you all.
I've got another scan on 18th January.
With the hospital crisis I need to find out where to go if it bursts, the uncertainty of ambulance cover, and if it's now reached the point of referral to see a vascular surgeon.
It grew pretty quickly last time from 3.6cm to 4.5 which is just outside the size for instant referral for a large increase in size during the wait and see period between scans.

thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
I hope you all have a great new year.
maybe sometime before I post again.
best wishes
Mike
I would avoid any excessive exercise, over and above walking or mild woodwork.

Running, Lifting, sawing, planning etc would be a no no just to limit the chance of a rupture.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Latest posts

Back