A total newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chitumbu

Reaction score
I'm probably totally out of my league here but would appreciate some advice anyway.
Here goes - in for a penny............
I live in a glorified caravan, called a lodge because it has log cladding on the outside. In the past (before my time) it has been painted with dark brown, presumably gloss paint. Now, because of new site rulings, it needs to be made a lighter colour to 'blend in' with newer lodges brought in around us. One option is to rub it down and then re-stain it a lighter colour than it now is - for which I've been quoted just very slightly under £500. I realise that it's a labour intensive project but it's frankly a bit beyond my financial means. I'd willingly give it a go myself but as a 99lb weakling (no, not really but not far off) I think it might be a bit beyond my capabilities. However, it has been suggested by a worker on the site that I could use something called Sadolin Tint on it first and then paint it a lighter brown. Obviously, it's never going to look like a natural wood stained product unless it's rubbed down and restained but does anybody has any have any other realistic ideas on what I could do with this?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Well, I'm no expert on finishing, but to take away the problem of rubbing down, I would purchase a power sander.
People will be along soon to recommend their favourite type, but I'd go with a random orbital sander (£20-30) along with plenty of sandpaper in different grades, and use that to take away the elbow grease element.
Then perhaps treat with a fence-type wood preservative using a sprayer (£30)

Total equipment is going to be around £75 tops, with preserver being around £25 (although I don't know how big the lodge is)

Cheers,

Sam

what about trying an anti bleed paint undercoat, then put the lighter coat on top.

internally, you if you want to paint white over say red, you need to block of the two. can't remember what it is called, but i would think there is an external version too.

what about going to the local garden centre and ask them, or even the local proper caravan shop. seem to remember a lot in lincolnshire :lol:

paul :wink:

Thanks to you both. I'd say the anti-bleed paint is what I'm looking for as even I can slap paint on whereas I suspect that rubbing down, although it'll give a much better end result, would probably be a bit much for me. Yes, a trip to, probably B&Q would be the best bet. It's dark brown now so need to get it to a chestnut colour, I would guess. And no, I don't suppose that a paint will give it the same wood effect as rubbing down but would probably be a more realistic option.

Latest posts

Back