A silly person guide for me, please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all....
I recently bought a nice games set, in a box which has seen "better days"....
The lid - which I originally thought had marquetry inlay and would therefore be flat - turned out to have a incised/carved design into the (unknown) wood, and then stained and/or varnished a horrible dark brown. The inside of the lid doesn't really help either, as although I can see the grain, it too has been painted/varnished. The only other info I can give is that it's 3/8" thick (which isn't a lot of help!)
Anyway, it's got a few scratches here and there, and perhaps a wine glass(!?) ring for good measure.
My intention was to clean it up, and end up with a nice, natural wood finish, but of course I don't have any idea what "varnish" has been used....
So....
Can you boys give me an "silly person guide" as to methods of finding out, please?!
Very grateful for tips, advice....

Hello all....
I recently bought a nice games set, in a box which has seen "better days"....
The lid - which I originally thought had marquetry inlay and would therefore be flat - turned out to have a incised/carved design into the (unknown) wood, and then stained and/or varnished a horrible dark brown. The inside of the lid doesn't really help either, as although I can see the grain, it too has been painted/varnished. The only other info I can give is that it's 3/8" thick (which isn't a lot of help!)
Anyway, it's got a few scratches here and there, and perhaps a wine glass(!?) ring for good measure.
My intention was to clean it up, and end up with a nice, natural wood finish, but of course I don't have any idea what "varnish" has been used....
So....
Can you boys give me an "silly person guide" as to methods of finding out, please?!
Very grateful for tips, advice....
Any pics??

Any pics??
Sadly not, sorry!
No camera, and you know the 1 in 1000ish who doesn't own a mobile phone these days? That's me!
(Actually, that's not strictly true, but it's knocking on, so copes with calls/texts only!)

So if you want to record something for posterity do you pull out your sketch book and pencil :p
No silly, you might loose the book, you look at the item then close your eyes and there you have it stored away in the memory forever.

Cozzer, On some stubborn clock cases I have used Meths on wire wool to break it down then helped along with a thin blade scraper.

Cozzer, On some stubborn clock cases I have used Meths on wire wool to break it down then helped along with a thin blade scraper.
Thanks, Phill05.

A wonderful tool, a sharpened scraper!
Probably my favourite hand tool over the years, come to think....
Splashed out last year on an Arno burnisher. Ridiculous price really, but made me feel like a pro!

Back