A shoulder plane query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armagh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm aware that the blade on a shoulder plane is routinely wider than the body, but I'm at a loss as to why. Can anyone enlighten me as to the possible advantage of a wider blade?

I'm quite tempted to grind my own blade down to the same size as the body of the plane. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm the last and least qualified person to answer this but I think it is to give a slightly better and cleaner cut. The protruding side edge of the blade runs along the edge of the shoulder or rebate rather than the body of the plane, if that all makes sense. Worth a try to see the difference with the blade set flush v with the blade protruding.

Thanks. I'd assumed that the whole idea was to keep the blade flush with the body. I'll give your suggestion a go.

The blade needs to cut (very slightly) into the side of the shoulder or rebate. Thos removes any waste building up there. If the plane does not do this, the waste will force the plane progressively further away from the wall, and lifting it up on top of the waste. The net result is a sloping side to the shoulder or rebate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Armagh":ztfvnjse said:
Thanks. I'd assumed that the whole idea was to keep the blade flush with the body. I'll give your suggestion a go.

It is. But if it's even a thou undersize, the cut will creep outwards. So it's more practical to make it oversize - but not by very much. A little over causes no harm, a little under is terrible, so err on the side of making it work.

BugBear

Back