A Seat for scrolling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoggy49

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm after advice on the above. Being relatively new to scrolling (just about a year), I've done all of my scrolling standing. For me my season of cutting will start in September / October, when the garden and other outdoor activity's die down. So I'm trying to sort out a more comfortable set up in readiness. Having limited space I cant have the Hegner set up of the integrated seat/table, so whatever I do has to be stored away so I can use my table-saw etc. So I wondered what other's did, or should I just man up and stand?

Chas

Thank's stevebuk,
I suppose it begs the question, what's the height relationship with the table. At first it seems logical that the elbows should be level with the table like my pc keyboard, but maybe not ??
Chas

I have never been able to use the scroll saw standing up. Like Steve I use a bar stool that has adjustable height, a back support and a foot rest. I have tried several stools in the past and the one I have now is by far the best. To get the ideal height for scroll sawing you need to be sitting on whatever stool you decide upon and with your arms down by your side the table of the scroll saw wants to be level with your elbows. I use a footswitch as well and there is no problem at all.

I'm on one of those cheap from Argos or ikea or somewhere lol

Quite comfy but for long periods of time if I'm scrolling all day I need a stretch of the legs :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,321
I use what is commonly known has a "directors chair". It is made of wood and canvas and folds up easily so that I can stick it out of the way when I'm not scrolling.
George

Thanks everybody, I've had a look around and the £50 "Dakota shop stool" really is the dogs kahoona's. But sadly space is at a premium, It'll have to be a folder. I think Ill be visiting Argos or Ikea and adding a cushion! but thanks all for the advice.
Chas

Another bar stool/seat user here, in fact it looks as if it is similar to Geoff’s going by his description.
I obtained it from one of the DIY stores, but can’t remember which one, it was probably B&Q.

I did make one modification, I cut ply to shape and secured it to the foot rest bar to make more of a platform, reason being, I have very little control over my right leg/foot. But I am sure anybody sitting for long periods would find a foot platform more comfortable than a foot bar.

Chris R.

Well, inspired by your comments folks I've checked out B&Q and found this

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/outdoor-l ... d=13919442

more in keeping with the hobby I suppose. But on one hand the logic says "you could make that yourself", and the other hand says "what only £30 get yer hand down tight wad and save yourself a weekend" So I'll check em both out and report back. Whatever I do Ill certainly be adding a platform as I suffer from Peripheral neuropathy. and a single bar footrest would be tiring. Also should I add the foot switch to the platform?

Chas

Latest posts

Back