A Quick and Dirty Vice Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given this Record Number 3 vice yesterday, I thought it would be nice to clean up and use on my welding table once it is set up.

Here is what it look like to start with. Mostly surface rust, with a bit of WD40 I got it moving again.

Vice by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Easy to strip down although I did have to angle grind a pin off that holds in the nut for the threaded bar. Also the flat head screws holding the jaws all snapped off when trying to undo them. So drilled them out and then I could get some pliers to turn them.

I am not exactly sure how the end caps come off, I presume threaded... Could not get either off so I have decided to cut them off. I will later drill and tap these on the lathe.

Untitled by jamie skinner, on Flickr

First thing I did was to spray some degreaser on it and leave it while I cleaned the bbq. The inside was caked in grease and could not see much/any rust which made things easier.

I thought as I had the pressure washer out I would give it the once over.

I next use some strong detergent, so strong it had a go at the old paint.

Another blast with the pressure washer and the part was now looking clean inside and out.
Sprayed the inside with wd40 to stop surface rust as much as possible, I then gently went over it with the roofing torch to dry the water off it.

Not much difference yet...

Started to hit it with a wire wheel to get the rust and paint off.

Im going to use this for welding so I expect it to be covered in splatter from time to time. Hence I am just going to oil the surface and not paint it. There is a guy on youtube: Post apocalyptic inventor who salvages vices from time to time and restores them with just an oil finish. I think they look really nice this way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp1DE3dMNoM

Here it is all oiled up, I applied a thick coat so it could run into all surface imperfections then wiped and buffed with some paper towel.

Just going to head to the the metal workshop and work on the handle parts. There is quite a bit of pitting so I am going to skim the surface on these parts. Depending on how they turn out I may get the polishing wheels out.

Very nice. Youtube vice restorations always seem to end with a ridiculous mirror finish, or thick layers of garish paint. Nice to see this looking like a well-loved tool. =D> =D>

Nice work. I like the raw metal finish too, my Woden has mostly this finish tough not by design, just a hard life :lol:

I am not sure how the handles are fitted either, I really need to replace mine as it is warped.

I can't say how those particular handles were fitted but I believe that they are often a shrink fit - very close parts, heat the knob to expand, bash it on, let it cool to tighten on. Difficult to get off but only hope is to heat the knob and pull in some way. Cutting and making a new one is easier!

Onto the lathe to start cleaning the cylindrical parts.
In hindsight I should of just wire wheeled the lot, they came out to 'clean' for the rest of the vice.

I am going to put a knob on the end so if needed you can lock the handle in position. So drilling and tapping.

Wire brush to the threads.

Handle I decided to skim cut, drill and tap each end then screw on the old end caps.

Then I tried to drill the end caps and these came off. Seems that they were peened over.

Quick clean up.

Tapped for a grub screw.

Filed the ends. Came out ok... I find the shaft is a very loose fit to the the hole it goes into. I will most likely remake this whole bar from slightly longer and thicker material at some point.

Knob for the end, just need to cut new 6mm threads. You can see how loose the bar is in the hole.

This is the pin the hold the nut block in place. I centre punched it and drilled it out. I wouldn't budge with a hammer.

Re drilled and tapped to M8 to ease disassembly in the future.

And finally back together.

Im not sure on the handle, I think I will make a new one eventually. Ive left it uncoated so hopefully it will start to patina at some point. I have some gun blue kicking about somewhere so that may be with a try.

I need to get some new screws for the jaws, I may tap the threads to m6 and modify a few screws to fit. Or order some new ones.

Thanks for you comments so far!

I predict a learned discussion fifty years from now on rare variant Record vices with metric threads...

Back