a question for tinkerers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":3fpedc7u said:
Scaredy cat.... yes you missed it twice that I have a four foot board right through the machine.

I'm still grieving for my Speed Triple - that's my excuse.

Ah, that explains it, Triumph owners were always noted for missing things (all the bits that shook themselves loose whenever the engine WAS working)

:roll: :lol:

Custard,
I much appreciate your compliments. When i started this hobby and joined here in 2014 you did your best to put me off (in a very polite way) because it was very obvious I knew nothing and had neither the skills, nor the patience to learn them. For you to say I'm doing ok is a very big thing to me.
But I'm not easily put off, and I have to admit (with a surprised look on my face) that I am enjoying woodwork far more than I ever thought i would.
Theres no way I would attempt "furniture" for indoors mind, my outside tables and garden chairs are the peak of my ambitions in that direction.

But because I dont have the skills, I have to rely on machines, but as I dont have the money to buy equipment that will compensate for my lack I just have to battle all this chinese junk that I was not actually aware of before 2014. Its ironic that so much old machinery is for sale in the country I left behind, and none in the country I moved to.

The missus is away for 2 days from tomorrow, so i can stay in the garage (still cant get into the way of calling it a workshop) for as long as it takes to work this machine out.

final report;
I striped it, cleaned it, greased it, re assmbled it and tested it (there no internal adjustments).
To paraphrase my favourite saying....
If it aint broke I cant fix it.

Theres no way to remove the snipe. I dont understand why not because it looks like it should work properly, but it doesnt.

Best results on a twisted softwood donor board were obtained (bizarrely) by pushing down hard on the wood on the way in. This reduced the first snipe depth by 50%, but pushing down on the way out had no effect whatsoever. Lifting the board had no effect in either end.

So I am left with having to lose 6 cm off each end of each board unless I contrive a sled with sacrificial ends on every pass. As I rarely make the same length pieces thats going to get complicated.
Depth of snipe varied, and even tapered deeper towards the ends on some cuts but the smallest was still enough to make it impossible to use the ends for the same purpose as the middle.

Back