A nice tease by Rob Lee . . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it is a wonderful looker, Rob. How's it compare to a vintage one like my MF?

Ok, I *know* there isn't a comparison worthy. It looks very robust and easier to adjust than the vintage ones. Guess I'll have to sell my MF on UK Epay to get the most out of it before the LV goes on sale... :roll:

MikeW":2ecq0v7v said:

Ok, I *know* there isn't a comparison worthy. It looks very robust and easier to adjust than the vintage ones. Guess I'll have to sell my MF on UK Epay to get the most out of it before the LV goes on sale... :roll:

Mike -

I don't know that I'd go as far as selling a MF plane (unless you want to, of course 8) )...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1xbid9cy said:
MikeW":1xbid9cy said:
Mike -
I don't know that I'd go as far as selling a MF plane (unless you want to, of course 8) )...
Cheers - Rob
I use the MF router plane quite a bit...but how many router planes does one need? :lol:

If I commit to plunking down the cash for the new RP, it'll be after the other LAs anyway, which seem to be getting further away from reality.

Course, if I do sell the Sargent combo and the 39s and the MF router plane...

So I guess now we can expect a bear market for old 71s (like mine, which is a pain to adjust...). I wonder if the new RP will affect gas prices too?

Rob Lee":1826ij55 said:
And (not that anyone needs it) - a handle adapter kit is $6.50, so Alf can write another smashing piece on making one's own handles.... (very similar to the spokeshave kit)....

Since we're talking about handle making kits -- I assume that the hardware for the RP (router plane) handles is the same size and pitch as the hardware for the knobs on the "bevel up family of planes?" If so, could we use said kit to make custom knobs for our planes or would it be worth your time to make a plane knob kit available?

I know that Philly and I have the low knobs from the LA jack installed on our low angle smoothers. I much prefer the low knob and I bet that others do as well.

Very nice indeed. 8)

Are the cutters compatible with a Stanley or Record router?

Will they be on sale here for the Axminster show ?

Alf when are we going to have a review?

Can the blade "reverse" on the pillar (i.e. be mounted outside the body) for bullnose/stopped work?

It looks very likely, but I'm curious to know for sure.

Great looking design though - it appears to have every feature for existing routers, in a more compact and handy package.

#71's (and similar) are just too big 90% of the time. And since the LV has the obligatory screw hole, larger bases can easily be fitted if you need them.

BugBear

bugbear":dm2r4jvz said:
Can the blade "reverse" on the pillar (i.e. be mounted outside the body) for bullnose/stopped work?
The same thought wandered into my head late last night, also that L-V have gone for the simplicity of the #71.5/early #71 style, rather than all the bells and whistles of depth stops and such.

I can't help but wonder if I need professional help when I go to sleep dreaming of router planes... :-k

Cheers, Alf

bugbear":32tbuaue said:

(snip)

Hi -

Yes - the collar can rotate 180 degrees, allowing the blade to be clamped on the opposite side of the post. The 1/2" blades can also be rotated by 90 degrees, to "face" either handle...

Cheers -

Rob

Hi All -

Other answers to questions in this thread...

1) Cutters are longer than Stanley/Record, and should fit if the adjusting screw is inverted (flange on top, instead of bottom as installed).

2) Handle adapters - we intend to increase our offering of handle adapter kits/plans/instructions to cover as many knobs/handles as we can...

3) APTC - I'll make sure that one's there for people to try...but I'm not sure we can get stock there in time...will do our best!

4) Alf's review - A good time to restate that we don't send actually send planes to Alf for review....we solicit her opinions on our designs well before production - so we can make changes if we feel they're warranted. Alf doesn't have one of these, as we were quite comfortable going ahead with the design we had. We are willing to send out a plane for review - but it will be the first time we've ever done so with Alf...

Cheers -

Rob

My apologies for interrupting Rob, but Alf wrote:
Recently I haven't no. I've been counting Kevin Pietersen's sixes...
in response to
Don't all Neanders go to sleep counting planes?

and you have to realize that this is a Low Blow... a Very Low Blow, coming after the recent loss of The Ashes by Australia to England!

Since when is Kevin Pietersen even English (he is South African), and he doesn't even know what a #6 is - he couldn't tell it from a chiselplane. Especially a LV chisel plane! ... there back on topic. :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Lee":3e8ukpuy said:
4) Alf's review - A good time to restate that we don't send actually send planes to Alf for review....we solicit her opinions on our designs well before production - so we can make changes if we feel they're warranted. Alf doesn't have one of these, as we were quite comfortable going ahead with the design we had.
Translation: It'd have probably only resulted in another whinge about handles, so we didn't ask. :wink:

My apologies for interrupting Rob, but Alf wrote:
Recently I haven't no. I've been counting Kevin Pietersen's sixes...
in response to
Don't all Neanders go to sleep counting planes?

and you have to realize that this is a Low Blow... a Very Low Blow, coming after the recent loss of The Ashes by Australia to England!
The recent loss of The Ashes by Both the Men's and Women's teams, I might add. :p And on a woodworking note <gasp>, does anyone know who made the Women's Ashes Trophy? It's a wooden cricket ball, and while I can tell you all about the bat that was burnt to become the ashes inside and even the wok it was burnt in, I can't find a thing about the trophy itself. Rumour has it the ball is elm, but other than that...

Since when is Kevin Pietersen even English (he is South African)
Funny, I don't remember anyone mentioning that when he was dropping catches left, right and centre... :wink: Heck, England won despite that, and "Jones the Drop" behind the stumps. And where did Geraint Jones learn his cricket? Australia... :roll: :lol:

Wooden connection? Erm... the bats, stumps, bails, Ricky Ponting's expression...

Cheers, Alf

Who could gloat about this for at least 18 months, and probably will. :wink: Sorry, Derek.

Who could gloat about this for at least 18 months, and probably will. Sorry, Derek.

Nah, I was just teasing you. :D England were clearly the better team throughout the series (although having two South Africans in the team plus biased umpires didn't hurt - OK, I'm kidding again :lol: )

Sorry again Rob - back to the real thing..

Regards from an Ashless Perth

Derek

I asked this question elsewhere and Rob wouldn't bite, but I was wondering since I bought my made in England router plane from my local Lee Valley Store, if they had a trade in plan. :roll:

Actually I have never actively sought out a plough plane as I have when needed, mainly for cutting the slots for drawer bottoms, used the router plane instead.

Speaking of which is there a plough plane in the future as well, interested people want to know. As to cricket I just don't get it, but I like baseball.

Back