A new workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dedee":23dkp6c5 said:
Stef, I've read elsewhere of Tongue Tite screws being very good for fixing sold wood floorboards http://www.screwfix.com/p/tongue-tite-s ... -200/85991

Some seem to say that pilot holes are necessary to stop the tongue splitting others do not. Some suggest that screws do not allow for movement in the same way that nails do.

Are you sure a couple of days is enough for acclimatisation?

Andy

yep, i am over enthousiastic here, it will probably be a week or two before i screw/nail them down !
i think also nailing would give more room for movements, but then i can also change the screws to nails, whereas chaning from nails to screw would be a little more difficult ! looks like its going to be screws !

The last two t&g floors I've done I've secret nailed with a porter nailer (neither floor has had problems in around 4 years).

DSC_1677.jpg

The floor boards are now down.i havent screwed or nailed anything just yet.
I also havent cut the last set of boards to size, just so that i'll have enough left in case of massive shrinkage !
Finally, i ran the flexible tubes in which i can feed the power cables for the additional sockets i am fitting.
I even ran two so i can have wire floor sockets (thanks andy !)

The pine is all clean and new, but marks very easily with black sole trainers... but that's ok, i guess it will soon turn grey anyway !

Looking good Stef.
I'd be tempted to put some sort of finish (floor varnish perhaps) down on the floor. It would prevent the wood from staining if oil, paint etc is spilled.

Andy

dedee":2bqzfctf said:
Looking good Stef.
I'd be tempted to put some sort of finish (floor varnish perhaps) down on the floor. It would prevent the wood from staining if oil, paint etc is spilled.

Andy
thanks !
I've just found a source for the screw you mentioned earlier. 8euros for 200, plus 12euros pand p :-(...
i guess i'll try to find a cheaper source, and failing that, i will nail them !
I have some left over underlay, that the former owner kindly left me, about 9sqm worth of the 7mm thick, green felt type thing.
I am thinking about cutting it in strips and use this between the boards and the joists. I will prevent the floor from squeaking !
They sell something equivalent at LM..

Stef, I've not looked for those floorboard screws over here before. The key is their "lost head" . I'd be surprised if there was not an equivalent over here from a quincaillerie perhaps?

Mail order over here seems to be in the dark ages, many companies only sell to professionals (siret required) or postal charges are prohibitive.

Andy

Progress has been good during the christmas break. I managed to insulate the whole shop, and i have almost finished the electrics.
DSC_1846.jpg

DSC_1850.jpg

DSC_1851.jpg

DSC_1855.jpg

DSC_1856.jpg

DSC_1857.jpg

Three phase supply means a lot of wires comming out of the walls. i managed to sort out the spagheti..

DSC_1859.jpg

Everything is now back in the shop
DSC_1863.jpg

you will notice my new tool cabinet on the right here... i am having all the windows replaced, so i managed to have three like this one put aside for me, the have roller shutters, and are just deep enough to house a number 7 plane..i'll put more picture of this later on.

DSC_1869.jpg

I will have to connect all the bits on the CNC as soon as i get a chance. I managed to do the first cuts with it before christmas, but had to take it all apart again to do the building work in the shop.

DSC_1870.jpg

Stef,
that really is looking good, I will pop over one day when it's finished

Cheers

Andy

Right, now that the workshop is functional and almost complete, i thought i'd post a few pictures. so here they are:
DSC_2087.jpg

DSC_2088.jpg

DSC_2089.jpg

DSC_2090.jpg

second rotation from the door to the house:
DSC_2091.jpg

DSC_2092.jpg

DSC_2093.jpg

DSC_2094.jpg

DSC_2095.jpg

and the tool cabs, which i am pleased with:
DSC_2099.jpg

DSC_2098.jpg

DSC_2100.jpg

there are still a few wires hanging for some more light, ceiling sockets, and dust extraction. That will be for later.
Overall, the workshop is spacious, and the floor is very comfortable. Most units are on wheels, so the machines can be moved around to suit. There is plenty of light too, from the two french door, 4 neons and central bulb. It's a double door to get back in the living quarters in the house. so the noise is fairly well confined.

Back