A little mahogany piece!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Not my favourite wood and this was meant to be used for a colouring experiment but the lovely grain wouldn`t let me cover it, hope you like it? comments/criticism welcome ;) Sorry photo`s a bit iffy!

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Its nice. Im not into the colour stuff to much and love to see the wood. I like the curves and overall shape. Would look nice on most tables.

As you say, the wood looks much too nice to cover up.

I like the shape but...... always a but?

As the outer shape is so flowing, I feel you have left the inside too thick. I like chunky bowls but this one feels like it should be wafer thin to accentuate the curves somehow.

That said, it looks good.

Nice shape and form. I have used red or brown stains on mahogany which brings the grain out and enhances and emulates the deep lustre that you see on old mahogany. I quite like the wood personally especially that spicy smell though it can be a bit dodgy to the breathing system.

pete

Hi all
Thanks for the comments, you ever take something off the lathe and think mmmm...do I like it? or not? this was one of those and I`m still not sure if its going back on the lathe or not yet :)
Cheers
Steve

gus3049":2cvfqx38 said:
As the outer shape is so flowing, I feel you have left the inside too thick. I like chunky bowls but this one feels like it should be wafer thin to accentuate the curves somehow.

This was my immediate thought also. The shape looks like its begging to be thin and really light when picked up.

gasmansteve":29l78w3f said:
Hi all
Thanks for the comments, you ever take something off the lathe and think mmmm...do I like it? or not? this was one of those and I`m still not sure if its going back on the lathe or not yet :)
Cheers
Steve

Yes all the time , some even come off themselves when I try for that elusive all over thinness that would
really make your piece a real beauty.

I like the finish as well

REgards Boysie

Back