A home-made compass plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been dreaming of building my own compass plane from an old Stanley frog and a few other parts. Just to see that it's possible. That has been on my to-do list for several years already.

I'm really happy that I don't have build one, as I found someone else's interpretation of Stanley #20 in a museum over here in Finland.

1z2prp1.jpg

11t8mpt.jpg

That one was found in a museum in Pietarsaari. The town has been known from its long maritime heritage and I'm not surprised that someone has built a "replica" of a compass plane for his own use, as those have been hugely expensive over here at the time. Definitely the builder has seen a Stanley #20, but the result is a Finnish version of it, made from flat iron bar, a few bits of wood and a tad of creativity.

I think it's a lovely contraption. For some reason they did not allow me to try it in the museum, so I don't know if it works properly :wink:

Pekka

Hi, pukka

Thats a cracking piece work, do you have any more pictures? I would like to see the joint between the frog and sole.

Pete

I don't have any more photos, but the frog was riveted to the sole just as on the original.

Pekka

Racers":1nj8bnt9 said:
Hi, pukka

Thats a cracking piece work, do you have any more pictures? I would like to see the joint between the frog and sole.

Pete

Purely out of idle interest Pete, why do you want to see this? Are you thinking of making one?

xy mosian":35kkqrb3 said:
That looks almost as if someone has replaced a broken casting on an original.

xy

If you look closely, also the frog is made from sheet steel (a bit thinner than 1/4"). For example the Y-lever is just filed from a lump of metal.

I have been thinking of using a frog from an old Stanley for a similar projet, the early versions would have been pretty easy to convert.

Pekka

Is this any use to you Pete?

CIMG4488.jpg

There is a row of small rivets both sides of the mouth.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Back