A heads up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to let anyone in the Newcastle area know that when I went looking for Newcastle Hardwoods Ltd it appears as if it is no longer in operation. Also if anyone was contemplating going to Quay Timber, I wouldn't bother. When I went in and asked about hardwood offcuts I didn't even get the chance to say I wanted to buy them. The guy was quite brusque and I got short shrift and palmed off onto another company.

Drew

I think the only reasonable place in the North East is Hexhamshire Hardwoods. It's just a little hard to find and not always open so ring first as it's in the middle of nowhere.
Probably the easiest was to get reasonably cheap timber is to join the Northumberland Woodturners (or Sunderland and maybe Wearside) and come along on the day that Martin Pidgeon visits. His next visit to Northumerbland is in April but he may be up at one of the others sooner than that

Thanks for that duncanh. I am intending to go in search of Hexhamshire Hardwoods this week. It'll be a nice run up there despite the weather and if I can find them and they are in then that will be a bonus. I have joined Sunderland Woodturners and a friendly bunch they are and I've seen some real good turning as well. So hopefully they will have a Martin Pidgeon visit sometime soon

Drew

Well I went up to Hexhamshire Hardwoods today and what a difference. The chap up there couldn't have been more helpful. Well stocked with tools, turning blanks and finishes. All the English hardwoods and exotics you could want, I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Thanks for the information duncanh. =D>

Glad you found it and can see what a gem it is. Richard will get what he can for you, cut what he can for you, and if you do have to leave a message on his ansaphone, he actually responds.

Latest posts

Back