A 'Doh!' moment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Train

Established Member
Reaction score
We all have them from time to time.

Having spent all day working on my roof I went on to my friend's recording studio where I am doing some work. I had built a double skin sound proof wall with two pairs of double doors in the centre of the wall to create a room within a room. Today I wanted to get the door latches and furniture fitted so the doors would be usable.

The double doors are rebated and fitted like a narrow airlock each pair having one bolted door and one door with a latch and handle.

I fitted the top and bottom bolts on the bolted door and adjusted the shut line with the opening door and then using masking tape I set up a centre line for the latch, strike plate and handle.

I drilled the door and fitted the latch, then drilled the holes for the handles and made sure they worked properly. I then checked alignment for the strike plate on the bolted door.

I marked around the strike plate and flushed it in to the door edge being careful to countersink the screw holes.

I shut the door and it didn't quite catch. Hmmm.
Spying through the narrowing gap as the door closed I could see that the latch was lined up with the strike plate and that the latch bolt was clicking into place but the door kept springing open.

I took everything back out and rechecked it was right, getting tired and frustrated. Everything seemed to be ok, it was all moving freely, the latch bolt fitted the strike plate and the rubber door edge seals were accounted for.

Reassembled and tried again. Still didn't stay shut.

Left the doors and tidied my tool box for a while. Got some fresh air.

Went back to try the door again, still not staying latched.

Then I noticed that I had fitted the strike plate to the edge of the bolted door and forgotten to mortise the hole in the middle of it. :oops:

The second pair of doors were simple after that little lapse.

I think if I was a site worker, I would carry a few wooden plugs around to put in those holes and have some fun on my mates.

Yep!

I have a small cupboard that has a 'lay-on' door. For some strange reason I cut a keyhole in the door-frame!

Duuhh! :D

John

devonwoody":3m2u7b33 said:
I think if I was a site worker, I would carry a few wooden plugs around to put in those holes and have some fun on my mates.
Reminds me of when I used to be an electrician.
Plasterers would plaster over one of the socket boxes after first fix and leave the second fix electrician wondering where the missing socket and break in the circuit was.

I had to do an electrical repair to a housing association flat where, as part of the test and inspection, I found two sockets in a room weren't working. With a bit more testing and detective work I found there were two sockets boxes, live and buried in the plaster, that were missing leaving part of the ring main not working.
I located them and reinstated the circuit.

The interesting thing was that the flat was like that for over 10 years and it was never picked up or acted on by any inspection or electricians in all that time.
Oh the fun they must have had on building sites in the 70s.

In the 60's I knew a chippy who had a fearful temper, and was wont to throw stuff about when things didn't go right.

I went past one of the shells, on site, and I heard his voice, 'f*ng' and blinding from the first floor. Then suddenly a jack plane came sailing through the air and landed on a pile of bricks. I think I said something like 'Bl**dy Heck mate!' as the plane just missed my head.

Then he appeared at the window, and shouted down. 'Sorry about that our kid. Do us a favour and bring it up would you?'

I looked at the plane then I shouted back, 'Which half d'you want first?'

:whistle: :wink:

Night Train":3damriv0 said:
devonwoody":3damriv0 said:
Reminds me of when I used to be an electrician.
Plasterers would plaster over one of the socket boxes after first fix and leave the second fix electrician wondering where the missing socket and break in the circuit was.

I had to do an electrical repair to a housing association flat where, as part of the test and inspection, I found two sockets in a room weren't working. With a bit more testing and detective work I found there were two sockets boxes, live and buried in the plaster, that were missing leaving part of the ring main not working.
I located them and reinstated the circuit.

The interesting thing was that the flat was like that for over 10 years and it was never picked up or acted on by any inspection or electricians in all that time.
Oh the fun they must have had on building sites in the 70s.
How does this work NT?

I'm no spark so please forgive the ignorance, but isn't a socket circuit a ring? So by that rationale if there were 2 sockets out then none of them would work...

I know I have misread or misunderstood what you have written, so can you clear the fudge from my brain :)

TrimTheKing":2p00hz3x said:
How does this work NT?

I'm no spark so please forgive the ignorance, but isn't a socket circuit a ring? So by that rationale if there were 2 sockets out then none of them would work...

I know I have misread or misunderstood what you have written, so can you clear the fudge from my brain :)

If you have a ring circuit with many sockets on it then you can see that both ends of the ring are fed from the fuse box.
If you break the ring in one place then all the sockets still work on two radial circuits.
If you break the ring in two places then the two ends still attached to the fuse box will still work as radials but the section that is left will not work as it is completely isolated.

On that job it took a bit of thought to figure out where I would put the sockets if I was designing the installation. I then went around tracking them down until I found the two places that didn't have any sockets where I figured there should have been. I then used a metal detector to locate the boxes in the wall. I cut the plaster away carefully so that I could reinstate the sockets without having to repair the wall afterwards.

Night Train...We all have them from time to time.

OMG! I laughed so hard my mum asked what was up!, Talking via skype, and her face waslike thunder till I explained... (Not a bad get out seeing she's recovering from a stroke...)

NEARLY wet myself - been there, done that, got the splinters.

Night Train":2k8ozl36 said:
TrimTheKing":2k8ozl36 said:
How does this work NT?

If you have a ring circuit with many sockets on it then you can see that both ends of the ring are fed from the fuse box.
If you break the ring in one place then all the sockets still work on two radial circuits.
If you break the ring in two places then the two ends still attached to the fuse box will still work as radials but the section that is left will not work as it is completely isolated.

On that job it took a bit of thought to figure out where I would put the sockets if I was designing the installation. I then went around tracking them down until I found the two places that didn't have any sockets where I figured there should have been. I then used a metal detector to locate the boxes in the wall. I cut the plaster away carefully so that I could reinstate the sockets without having to repair the wall afterwards.
Ahhhh, now I understand

Sheepishly hides feeling a bit stoopid :oops:

No need to feel stoopid.

The lock thing was stoopid. The electrical thing was never found by 10 years worth of annual electrical checks until I got there!

I am grateful that my friend was busy with another job and didn't notice my momentry daftness. :oops: :lol:

Back