A day of firsts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
So, today I had what I am counting as my first success, my first failure and my first surprise.
I wanted to get some practice so I thought I would have a go at an egg. Practice for this months challenge. So I found an old piece of 2x2 pine which had a small hole drilled in the end from some old project or other, just right for the tailstock revolving centre, loaded it up and off I went.
Well, it started to look like an egg, not perfect yet but it was getting there and the wood was relatively smooth...... So I am counting that as a success.
Then, as I was working round the thick end, it 'exploded' off the lathe. What I thought was a short hole in the end was obviously quite long and I had broken into it. So I count that as an idiotic failure.
The surprise was that the egg 'exploding' off the lathe was a bit of an anticlimax. I would have expected it to shoot off at a rapid rate of knots but it just buckled and fell off.

Happy day.
IMG_0035.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 787
Hi

You're making progress :) - though I wouldn't recommend an egg as an ideal way to learn, it's early in the month and I'd suggest you practice roughing and basic spindle profiles for a while - tackle the egg when you're more adept at the basics.

You've also learned that with between centres work it is impossible to have the work ejected from the lathe a light speed as some would have us believe - so one less thing to worry about :)

Later you could also learn to use the skew without getting frightening catches - but now I suspect I'm getting controversial :roll:

Anyhow, you seem to be enjoying yourself and making good progress

Have fun Mick

Not a bad start but as spindle has pointed out do some straight forward spindle work with some beads and coves. First thing is being able to produce a straight cylinder of wood from a square blank once you can do this 2 or 3 times in a row then start on the beads(all those practice cylinders will come in handy for this) follow this with doing some coves.
Once happy you will find that the egg will be a lot easier.
It sounds like a lot of boring work but worth every minute

Yep, I was practicing the roughing gouge and spindle gouge and finally managed to get the motion right to produce a smooth finish so I tried taking it down to the egg. Would have worked too :)
Now back to the practice and maybe planing with a skew.

Hi

I know it's difficult to exercise restraint when you have all these new toys but I think you'll find the learning curve will be quicker if you approach things in a structured manner.

Start with the roughing gouge and learn to rough down to parallel cylinders. Still using the roughing gouge cut gentle coves and round over the tops. Rough back to a cylinder and use the wings of the roughing gouge to perform planning cuts along the cylinder - see how versatile a roughing gouge is and how you can use it to plane to good effect.

The next tool to introduce is the parting tool, use it to face the ends of your rough turned cylinders, experience the difference in presenting it in scraping and bevel rubbing modes and use it to place a series of depthing cuts along a cylinder.

Now get practicing with a spindle gouge converting a cylinder with depthing cuts into a series of beads. On another cylinder mark a series of rings in pencil and use these to guide you producing a series of coves. Place a depthing cut close to one end of the cylinder and use a spindle gouge to create a tenon.

Once you can achieve the above with confidence and to your satisfaction you 70% there as far as spindle turning goes and there is virtually nothing you can't produce using these techniques.

It's up to you, but I'd advise you to leave the skew alone until you have achieved all of the above - learning it's use will be a lot easier if the basics of spindle turning are second nature.

(If you really must have a go with a skew use the largest you have, certainly no smaller than 3/4", highlight the sweet spot with whiteboard marker or something similar and don't be tempted to start with a round skew).

Regards Mick

Early on in my very short career I tried turning an egg for my chickens. Unfortunately I chose green willow as it was white and I thought it would be more likely to fool the hen. Green willow will actually "flow" around the cutting edge of a spindle gouge. Like trying to turn a balloon using an ice lollipop.

Turns fine now it has had 5 months of drying.

I ended up using willow as the "ball" for the skittles game I made for my grandson. Wanted something relatively soft and light weight.

Graham, just keep playing and trying things, I have found sometimes what is in the books don't work for me. So now I have developed some bad habits. The skew I sometimes use as a scraper (a tool I previously regarded with great mistrust) I find it ideal for breaking the edge of corners such as the lips of a bowl. Also in conjunction of a parting tool ideal for making mortices for the chuck. Sometimes I think I do things the wrong way because I don't have the skill in my hands to do it the right way.

Back