A Couple of Bowls From Recently Acquired Stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was asked by a couple of members to post some photos of what I had made with the recent stock that I got from Home of Wood.

12" Elm Bowl 3" Deep & 14" Spalted Beech Bowl 4" Deep

Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 779
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 779
Think they look really good, can could tell me the process u used to finish them , eg what u sanded down to and ? Wax etc. thanks.

Very nice. A little spalting looks great, to much can sometimes be overkill and take the eye away from the form.

HeliGav":99h1lwv4 said:
Think they look really good, can could tell me the process u used to finish them , eg what u sanded down to and ? Wax etc. thanks.

Hi, I sanded down on the lathe using an Aminster Bowl sander going through the grits 80, 100, 120, 180, 240, 320 and 400.

I then applied 3 coats of Danish Oil leaving each coat overnight to dry.

Finally I hand polished with 3 coats of Microcrystalline wax.

Cheers

Vic

Nice bowls. As a constructive criticism only, maybe try rounding the edges of the rim a bit so it give the impression that the walls are thinner. This is just personal preference though. You have certainly got the inside bottom very smooth which is something I am having difficulty mastering.

procell":122ekw1k said:
Nice bowls. As a constructive criticism only, maybe try rounding the edges of the rim a bit so it give the impression that the walls are thinner. This is just personal preference though. You have certainly got the inside bottom very smooth which is something I am having difficulty mastering.

Point taken, I will try rounding the edge on the next one I turn and see how it looks

Regards

Vic

Back