A busy days turning(for me)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Had the best part of the day on the lathe yesterday 8)

Natural edge ash platter,9" at widest point.

Another small ash platter,8" this time

A square off centre bowl/ornament 6"square.

And even time at the end of the day for a quick mushroom :D

They are all finished with sanding sealer and woodwax22. Comments/critique appreciated.

Cheers JT

Square Bowl - 6 points !

Are you sure you didnt route that outer groove out ? ;-)

Very clean, One for the coffee table !

Loz

All lovely pieces JT ....
the square one has something rather special about it ... really nice !

Have to say also - I'm really keen on the second piece, the shallow platter... thats very nice indeed. really well shaped and nice proportions from the rim-edge to the dished area, really like that one ! 8) 8) 8)

Coming on in leaps and bounds, I reckon ! ...
can't think of seeing a duff piece put up by you yet ! :D :D :D
All of the above look really good, look 'well done' and work totally in terms of the 'design' of each one.

Most importantly of all ... you pleased with how the progress is coming, yourself ?

Again,a great selection of work :D
Same as Alun,the second platter scores highest - don't know if it is just because it is a more traditional style,but everything about it just looks right.

Andrew

JT - great work.

The end grain natural edge platter is very nice and as others have said, the square bowl is really excellent.

Dare I ask how you sanded and finished the interrupted wide groove on the square bowl. Please reply in your own time if you down to typing with one finger now! :wink:

Seriously, lovely work!

Simon.

As other have said great work.

The first platter looks good with a very good finish, not easy on end grain

I like the square bowl that ring is very well done and looks very good.

The mushroom looks like it was fun to do.

My favorite is the second platter very nice shape and finish and the grain really sets it off.

john

Ditto JT.

Second one for me =D> ,although the square one leaves itself open for some new ideas, off centre work does help to set a piece off.

Hi JT,

Like them all :D

How dry is the NE end grain platter, is it likely to split. I have been too afraid of splitting to try anything like that.

The square piece is interesting, as TEP says, opens up new ideas :wink:

Regards,

Mike C

Hi John,
A super days work and all the pieces look well executed and finished. I really like the traditional platter No2 and the square off-centre bowl looks so crisp on the edges that like many other contributors I wondered if you had all your digits still in place!!
Well done,
Ian

Thanks everyone :D

Paul, I liked the grain pattern when I sawed the end off a log of this ash, hence why I made the face grain platter, theres 48 years growth in that.

Mike its bone dry, so no fear of cracking.

SVB":1xyautiu said:
Dare I ask how you sanded and finished the interrupted wide groove on the square bowl.

In a word Simon.......CAREFULLY :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I still have all 10 digits!....mostly.

cheers JT

They're all really good.

My favorite is the square one, I like the original design.

I shall try to copy it in the not to distant future and also try my hand at the second platter.

Keep up the good work,
Les

Back