A box to store seeds in, advice needed on hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been away from woodworking for a while (unless you count building walls and floors) and I thought it was high time I got back to it. Since I've taken up gardening I have all the seeds so what better item to build than a box to store them in.

This is reclaimed timber so I'm not completely sure what it's made from. I think the bottom half is teak not sure about the top, I'm open to suggestions. It measures about 25x25x20cm LxWxH.

I would like to hinge the lid but I have no idea what hinges to use or the best way to fit them. The wall thickness is 15mm so I'm guessing I'd want to sink screws vertically, I'm thinking this is like a jewellery box. It's not that I've never fitted a hinge it's just all my experience is with big hinges, like doors. I'm fairly proud of this box so I'm willing to get some nice hinges for it, any ideas?. I also can't decide if I want to fit a clasp to the front, it feels a bit much.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Nice box, well done. You have a choice between standard butt hinges with a chain support or stopped hinges which can be butt or side rail in design. The side rail hinges are the most elegant and a box that size will need the larger version.
However fitting side rail hinges calls for extreme precision. I used to rout rebates on the router table but that calls for ' backrouting ' the right side of the box top and the left side of the lid which can be done but is a bit of a white knuckle experience. I then found that Rockler in the US market a terrific ' Jig it ' jig which allows lid and box to be routed simultaneously. Assuming you are not going to risk it with a router it would probably be safer to stick with standard butt brass hinges. ?

Back