5 bar gate dimensions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the right thickness for a 5 bar gate approx 2 5ft gates 3ft high. (Softwood)

I was thinking 4x3" Stiles and 4x1 1/2 rails?

Maybe have a look at the Cannock Gates website and pick their town field gates, click on a similar size, the details section usually shows the dimensions of the components (They use a wider stile at the hanging end)

Normally something like a 4" or 5" x 3" hinge stile, 3"x3" at the swinging end.

Top rail 3" thick tapered from the hinge end maybe 4" to 3"

All the rest 3"x1", probably 1 vertical up the middle on a gate that width (dovetailed in), 4 horizontal rails and some diagonal braces on the other side.

Traditionally made out of square, running up hill a bit from the hinges.

Are you going for the curly extended hinge stile, obviously needs cutting out of a wider section.

Normally something like a 4" or 5" x 3" hinge stile, 3"x3" at the swinging end.

Top rail 3" thick tapered from the hinge end maybe 4" to 3"

All the rest 3"x1", probably 1 vertical up the middle on a gate that width (dovetailed in), 4 horizontal rails and some diagonal braces on the other side.

Traditionally made out of square, running up hill a bit from the hinges.

Are you going for the curly extended hinge stile, obviously needs cutting out of a wider section.
Thanks. 👍

So 4x3 hinge stile. (No curly stile as it's only 5ft wide)
3x3 top rail
3x1 rails/ bracing.

Good that they are slightly out of square as the drive lifts up a bit.

Do I need a vertical in the middle and how is it DT in?

Thanks again.

I would use through tenons, the 3"x1" rails often aren't really tenoned, just the full size rail pushed through a mortise.

There are loads of different styles, some with uprights in the middle some without, If you put an upright in the middle and want to dovetail it it's something like this, alternatively you can just mortise it into the underside of the top rail

gate dovetail.jpg

When I was an apprentice and asked why they were made out of square I was told because it makes them swing better. I now presume it's because a say 10ft field gate is going to sag down a bit so it's just to counter that, maybe not needed on a 5ft gate. You can make them open up hill a bit by playing around with the position of the hooks for the hinges.

As said probably easiest to pick a style you like and just copy it, eg some have tapered top rails and some don't. Think 3ft is quite low for a 5 bar gate, you might get away with a 4 bar gate without anyone noticing :)

IMG-20230606-WA0008.jpeg

First one made.
I don't know why I made it 4 bars! I been feeling a bit low this last week and a half tbh.

IMG-20230617-WA0009.jpeg

Pretty much finished.

I managed to buy the wrong type of hinges with a 18mm bolt (used in wooden posts ) rather than plate and 4 screws.

Can I drill a 18mm hole and resin fix into 2ft square stone pillars??

They look spot on. I’ve never only ever used resin to fix things to the floor, but if it’s anything like that stuff it should work a treat. Hope you’re feeling better.

Another option would be to put a steel band round the pillar and a another perpedicular with a big bolt though it and the hinge.

Doh I've made the gates 2" too big so that they won't fold fold flat!!

Going to have to lengthen the tenons and cut off the excess!

Should I glue the tenons in too?

Yes, glue everything you can, wedges and all.
I'd use concrete screws/bolts rather than resin.
Gates look well.

Back