#4 1/2 Smoother - LN vs Clifton...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unashamed post of a profile much posted before but I simply have to gloat when something looks this good in silhouette....

DSC_0687.JPG

And you are quite right Matthew...it does perform with virtually the same characteristics....

DSC_0697.JPG

...and the yoke is still on one piece...even after 100 years! :wink:

DSC_0681.JPG

Boy oh boy...someone's going to moan at me posting this again...I can see it now..but for £2 I'm darn well gonna get my money's worth! :mrgreen:

Jim

I bought a bronze, LN smoother.
I ebayed it because I found it much too heavy.

Am I right in believing that Clifton blades will fit a Lie Nielsen plane?
Even if it is sacrilege to do it; from both perspectives of course.

:)

dr.nick":1gwrtwqu said:
I have a hundred yr. old Stanley 4-1/2. I bought it for $70. It needed some work when I first got it, But the thing works beautifully. Aside from upgrading the iron, I can't see replacing it with a plane that costs so much more. Why would you need to? am I missing something?

Nick,

Did you buy a modern blade for this, or wait for a good long, old one to appear on eBay?

I have one of these planes, (about the same age) but the blade is almost worn down to the point where it can't be secured by the screw! And I am doubtful that what is left would hold an edge.

Even so, it's a joy to hold, and the tote is perfect, for feel and shape.

:(

Benchwayze":p46d36zx said:
I bought a bronze, LN smoother.
I ebayed it because I found it much too heavy.

:)

Hi John

I bought the limited edition bronze LN Anniversary #4 1/2 when it was first advertised. I am assuming that yours is the #4, since the chances of it being the #4 1/2 are much less. If so, then my comments apply even more.

I must say that I did not enjoy this plane for a long time. The 50 degree frog was not high enough (did not create a high enough cutting angle) for the interlocked hardwoods I work, and the mass of the plane was too great. I compared the cast iron #4 1/2 alongside it, and much preferred the iron version. It just felt a little more nimble.

About a year or so ago I acquired the 55 degree frog. I figured that if I had the plane I may as well use it, and the higher frog was then needed. But this just made the situation worse!

Several months ago, about a month before the LV Small BU Smoother showed up with blades to test for Lee Valley, I purchased a bronze LN #3 with a 55 degree frog. This has a great balance and the extra heft in a plane this size is perfect - still nimble but with more authority. It is a very good worker - not ultimately as good as the SBUS, which can achieve even higher angles - but good enough for a lot of the difficult grain.

Having the #3 inspired me to have another go at the #4 1/2. This time I took the time to lubricate the sole with candle wax (don't ask me why I did not do this before!). It was like chalk and cheese. The #4 1/2 glides along like a light plane. Yes, it is a heavy plane, but this is not intrusive in a negative sense now. I can only imagine a #4 would be even less so. Give it a go.

As to the Clifton blade fitting, well I have one that I purchased for a Stanley #4 1/2, and this is a perfect fit for the LN Anniversary. It is a touch thicker, so the frog does need adjusting. Excellent blade, although it did require a fair amount of flattening when I got it. And I hate the Clifton cap iron since it seems to have a sadistic streak and drop on my foot all the time! :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Benchwayze":1xwn603z said:
Yes (as Derek says)
LN 4_5 Clifa.JPG
The prefect combination 8)

They also fit (from L to R)...
Clifton family 5.JPG
Record No.08; LN No.4½; WS No.4; and of course Clifton No.3 :roll:

Actually, the No.8 iron didn't fit without filing the mouth, which I was loathe to do (I know it's not a particularly fine example of a No.8 - but it's the only one I've got) so I had the iron surface ground down from it's orginal 3.2mm to 2.75mm thick, and it fits just nicely.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• LN 4_5 Clifa.JPG
    LN 4_5 Clifa.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 517
  • Clifton family 5.JPG
    Clifton family 5.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 517
Derek and Vann,

Hi Derek,

Ah... Mine was a Number Four! But it was still heavy. I regret selling it mind, because the guy who bought it reckons it's the best Number Four he ever owned! So I might replace it with a cast iron Number Four; given a few months to recover from a recent raid on the tool fund. (A Festool addition. Age is creeping up and the 'grunt' side of handwork is getting more difficult. I don't have room for a tablesaw to reduce sheet goods. So the next best thing was a plunge saw and guides. Sorry about that. I know you're a 'Galoot'! :mrgreen: But it's that or no woodwork at all Derek!

I will bear in mind what you say about the blades and angles; although I hone my LN Five and a half (A2) to the 'normal angle', and it's sweet.
(I melt candles in an old tin-can, and pour it into plastic lids, to set. Makes a nice lubricant. I don't have any woodies any more, but I used to render down lamb fat, to make the tallow, which is ideal for woodies. Keeps 'em soft and sweet too! :)

Hi Vann,

Thanks for the info on the Clifton blades. I have a Clifton blade I can use for a Record 5-1/2 I am bringing into usable state. It's a bit of a mongrel, but it has a good, old casting. So a user it will be. if I can find the right shade of blue, I might get rid of the green-gunge paint someone used on it! I envisage having to remove some material from the mouth, so I am prepared for that. :D

Thanks again chaps.
:D

I've been away from this thread for a while, but seeing as I had a letter from Parcel force on my mat when I came home from work, I thought I'd update you. Yup, you've probably guessed, I've been caught by Customs, VAT and a "Clearance Fee" whatever that may be, to the tune of £73.56!!!

So I'm actually going to be paying more for my import than I'd have payed directly to Axminster/Classic Hand Tools etc. The only good thing to come out of it is that I'll have the configuration I wanted in the first place - O1 iron and 50 degree frog - as opposed to an A2 iron.

Hmmmphhh
Aled

Yep Aled.

Happened to me too with the No. 4, I later sold. I got lucky a couple of years ago with my Wenzloff saw, so maybe it's weight that they sometimes go on, to decide when there's tax to be made?

Any LNs I might buy from now on will be from Axy or Classichandtools. :)
Almost forgot. Has anyone tried the 'Pinnacle' blades that Rob Cosman demonstrated on the 'Tube? Would they maybe fit an LN? Just a thought.

Back