3phase 415v extension reel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex Barn Workshop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My workshop is 240v. My landlord may well be able to provide me a 3 phase 415v outlet, but I don’t want to push my luck and ask for a load of outlets.
What sort of extension reel/cable would I need to extend the range?
Thanks.

Well a lot depends on what load the machine that you are going to run presents

If your LL gives you a single outlet with a 4 pin or 5pin socket you can make up an extension cable with say 4mm 5 core cable and a plug and inline socket for occasional use
But its normal to have 3 phase equipment hard wired into the dis board

Because it is three phases, the lead needs to coil in three mutually perpendicular directions, somewhat like a monkey's fist.

---

There are a couple here. Not cheap.

https://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk/power/cables/extension-reels.htmlhttps://www.redboxtools.com/product/bahco-blcr400e-3-phase-400-v-cable-reel-without-lamp/
Most efficient way would be to buy some 5-core H-07 RNF cable and make your own. Then you can make a short 5 pin plug to 4 pin socket flylead if a machine needs it.

The difficulty with an extension lead is the temptation to switch it on at the wall, then walk over to the machine with it and plug it in rather than the three trips necessary to do it "correctly". The same temptation is there if you want to change from using one machine to another.

If the machines not too widely spread, consider extending their individual cables so they all end up at the wall socket (in an approximately central location). Then you can plug in a machine and switch it on or switch one off, swap to the next and switch it on.

Being 415V it will bite you a lot harder than 240V if something goes wrong and you're less likely to survive it.
Extension cables along the floor are always at risk of something being dropped on them and cables cut.
As the @ChaiLatte says, you really don't want to be plugging and unplugging 3 phase cables when they're live.

I'm not saying don't, just reminding you to take care.

It might be worth looking at 3 phase portable power distribution units (google). These tend to be costly but units like Mennekes Amaxx come up on ebay from time to time. These boxes are made in various combinations of 1 and 3 phase outlets, with breakers and switches and used in industry.

Interlocked switched sockets are a useful safety feature. They lock the plug into the socket when switched on, so you have to switch off to get the plug out.

Big beast but hang it on the wall ...

amaxx 3ph.jpg

I use a 3 phase extension lead which I swap between my Planer and spindle moulder, my electrician made it for me years ago.

This thread has got me thinking, I unplug everything when I leave the workshop including the three phase stuff. The three phase sockets on the walls don't have switches to turn them off but I still just pull the plug out and then plug them back in the next day. Think I will see if I can get them swapped for switched ones.......

I use a 3 phase extension lead which I swap between my Planer and spindle moulder, my electrician made it for me years ago.

This thread has got me thinking, I unplug everything when I leave the workshop including the three phase stuff. The three phase sockets on the walls don't have switches to turn them off but I still just pull the plug out and then plug them back in the next day. Think I will see if I can get them swapped for switched ones.......
Not a bad plan, you could just turn the appropriate breaker off when switching.
My 3 phase socket is awesome its a big metal box with a chrome handle that goes thunk when you turn it, you really know its off !

SY Multiflex 3 4 5 Core Steel Wire Braided Armoured Flexible PVC Control Cable. Tough yet flexible.

Attachments

• multiflex.jpg
    multiflex.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
Think I will see if I can get them swapped for switched ones.......

If there is more than one, it might be more cost effective to have one switch (on the exit route) that de-powers every socket.

SY Multiflex

Posting a link to this without any accompanying text is perhaps not the best thing to do. If you research the issue, SY cable (as the description in the link) is designed for _control_ cable, not power supply.

I am not saying do or do not use it, because there sure is a lot of it used as power cable but at least make people aware of the implications so they can make an informed decision.

https://www.elandcables.com/media/1...sy-cy-yy-cables-rina-18th-ed-with-summary.pdf

If there is more than one, it might be more cost effective to have one switch (on the exit route) that de-powers every socket.

Posting a link to this without any accompanying text is perhaps not the best thing to do. If you research the issue, SY cable (as the description in the link) is designed for _control_ cable, not power supply.

I am not saying do or do not use it, because there sure is a lot of it used as power cable but at least make people aware of the implications so they can make an informed decision.

https://www.elandcables.com/media/1...sy-cy-yy-cables-rina-18th-ed-with-summary.pdf
The op states "may well be able to provide me a 3 phase 415v outlet" The ideal would be a distribution board in the workshop, tailed from main incoming supply. "Including armoured extension leads" can be seen in the below link. Used this for nigh on 20ys in all my workshops with no issues, wired by a qualified sparky.

https://armouredcable.net/what-is-an-sy-cable/#
What Is An SY Cable?
An SY cable is a type of Flexible Armoured cable, it is used mainly in industrial environments, but also more and more in domestic installations for garden lighting and other applications to make connections easier. The galvanised steel braiding that protects the inner cores can also help keep Signals on phone/data lines from being interfered with . While there are other types of cables out there, this specification has become widely used when creating/connecting power leads including armoured extension leads.

SY Control Cable is manufactured with thermoplastic insulation (TPR) over stranded tinned copper conductors and a galvanized steel wire braid for mechanical protection

1mm SY cable
1.0mm SY Cable is a flexible control cable with galvanized braided protection, so it’s safe and ideal for use in factories, worksites, and other industrial applications. This cable may also be used in dry, damp, or wet environments.
The 1.0mm x 12 Core SY cable is typically utilized as an interconnecting cable in measuring, controlling, and regulating control equipment for assembly and production lines, conveyor systems, and computer devices. Industries such as:
Construction and building sites
Road transportation
Transmission & automation control, among others, frequently use it.

1.5mm SY cable
A 3 Core SY Cable with a core CSA (cross sectional area of 1.5mm) for example 1.5mm SY Cable, a robust control line cable capable of delivering power to a wide range control or single phase installations. The wire has been armoured in galvanized steel wire, giving it protection against some degree of heat and strain. This makes it ideal for use on construction sites and in manufacturing environments.
2.5mm SY cable

2.5 mm SY cable comprises a transparent outer sheath, and a galvanized steel wire braided protection beneath, which provides extra protection against mechanical and thermal strains. The cable is anti-chemical, safe to use in both dry, damp, and wet rooms/environments

An Example of the Technical Specifications of 2.5mm 12 Core SY Cable:

Voltage Rating: 300/500V
Temperature Rating:
Fixed: -40°C to +80°C
Flexed: -5°C to +70°C
Minimum Bending Radius:
Fixed: 4 x Overall Diameter
Flexed: 12.5 x Overall Diameter

Conclusion
SY control cables are designed to meet the specific needs of process automation. These flexible multicore cables come in various sizes and lengths, with copper conductors for flexible power requirements that is reliable even in hazardous environments.

Last edited:
With using an extension lead you must be in control or have access to the actual supply, it cannot be a permanent supply that you cannot turn off at any time you need to, ie the point of supply has to be accessable to you. Also an extension lead should only power a single load, you cannot run an extension lead and power a distribution board as that cable is now part of what should be a fixed installation.

https://quickbit.co.uk/32a-5-pin-415v-sy-cable-extension-leads-x-15m/https://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk...with-16mm-sy-control-cable-select-length.html
in conjuction with outlet isolator

SY is useful stuff but widely abused.
The clear outer type is not UV resistant so it's not suitable for outdoor use and yet it is commonly used for outdoor airconditioning units. Failed outer sheaths, cracked and falling off are ridiculously commonplace. The popularity of this practice doesn't make it correct.
SY is not approved by any UK standards authority that I know of. Good stuff is certified to a German national standard that isn't pan European or recognised in the UK (at least last time I looked). So an installer can't rely on a UK standard to justify the selection of cable if defending themselves in court.
It's good for wall to machine connections indoors - my personal opinion - but for an extension a H07RNF would be more abrasion and chemical resistant and would better handle flexing.

Back