3mm Bevel Edged Chisel - Really?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago I offered to make a 1/8" dovetail chisel for a woodworking mate. He turned up with a length of HSS (M2) 1/8" square rod, and this just happened to be perfect as you can grind it without fear of altering the hardness of the steel. He also brought along a small piece of Lilac for the handle, which was not a great choice as it was a little "mushy" and did not come out crisp, even with sanding.

The sides of the blade were ground on a 8" dry grinder wheel.

Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel_html_50398606.jpg

Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel_html_m206de6db.jpg

Give this a go. It's great fun. Here is a set I made from poor Stanley 750s (unhandled and rusty), adding new handles and grinding the sides to fine lands. The 1/8" began life as a 3/8", and the 5/8" was a 3/4".

Chiselset1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am such a lover of socket chisels. Really nice job there Derek - they look lovely!.

Jonny

Jonny - If you like em' buy em'. There are detractors who will say you are wasting your time or money buying tools you will not regularly use. And...................their point is?

If you have the disposable income then buy as you will old boy. If you receive great pleasure in both buying and handling the tools, or if having them in a display case for visual pleasure floats your boat then so what? Are you depriving others the opportunity who could use them? of course not.

I can't believe some have the audacity to critisize those interested in buying tools for their own pleasure, whatever that is. Perhaps it is jealousy, or the fact they are not in a position financially to purchase new and consider buyig tools other than out of neccesity folly.

Buy, buy and buy away.

Good luck and enjoy

David

Thanks for the kind words David. I have collected old and new tools for some years now, and I apologise if I've given the impression that I'm a millionaire that collects things due to fanciful folly enjoyed by folk with money. I would hate if that was the impression fellow forum members had of me.

That is not the case; my purchases are made with what little salary I have left at the end of the month - my Lie Nielsen obsession for example, usually involves months of gathering pennies together, as my one LN chisel a month purchases can attest to.

But that is how I like spending my left over cash - rather than spending £60 in a pub in a night, I'd rather buy a LN chisel for £42. I'll still have the LN chisel the next day! - oh and enough for a half decent bottle of red.

Thankfully we are all different.

Jonny

Jonny you don't have to explain or justify what you purchase with your hard earned to anyone - if someone else has an issue thats their issue. They're tools and are made to be purchased.

Bluekingfisher":3j0gccup said:
Jonny - If you like em' buy em'. There are detractors who will say you are wasting your time or money buying tools you will not regularly use. And...................their point is?....
The point is; if it's just doing woodwork that you are interested in these expensive ornamental tools are rarely necessary. It's up to you don't let us stop you frittering your money away! :lol:

Two.
One 12 year old Dawes Galaxy tourer - a heavy bike for touring and carrying camping gear etc. Also does for trails to some extent
One light road bike for day rides, audaxes etc. It's called an "Audax" bike which means light weight tourer, not quite a road racing bike.
Both get used a lot and neither are ornaments!

PS if you wanted to catch me out as a gear freak you should have asked bout my musical instrument collection! :oops:

JonnyW":a4x1jdnd said:
Thanks for the kind words David. I have collected old and new tools for some years now, and I apologise if I've given the impression that I'm a millionaire that collects things due to fanciful folly enjoyed by folk with money. I would hate if that was the impression fellow forum members had of me.

That is not the case; my purchases are made with what little salary I have left at the end of the month - my Lie Nielsen obsession for example, usually involves months of gathering pennies together, as my one LN chisel a month purchases can attest to.

But that is how I like spending my left over cash - rather than spending £60 in a pub in a night, I'd rather buy a LN chisel for £42. I'll still have the LN chisel the next day! - oh and enough for a half decent bottle of red.

Jonny

One hopes (presumes?) that wood isn't getting lost in the shuffle somehow.

Nothing like the cook poaching a hot dog in a $400 vintage French copper pot. No money left for ingredients.

I do believe you are right Jacob. However, fritter away I will.

For the record, 90% of the antique tools I've bought, have been used at some point (and I don't woodwork for a living). But I stand by what I've already said - some of my tools I've bought are so beautiful and so beautifully made, I could easily just stand and look at them - I have also been known to smell them. I'll get my jacket!

Just need to find away they can all be packed in to my coffin!

My boss is an obsessional cycler - I think he owns 5 or 6 bikes (of the Trek kind). I bet you I could kit out my workshop several times over with the money he's spent on them and other bikes over the years. However in his defence, he does use them all and they are not ornaments.

Jonny

CStanford":1wsfwvir said:
JonnyW":1wsfwvir said:

Jonny

One hopes (presumes?) that wood isn't getting lost in the shuffle somehow.

Nothing like the cook poaching a hot dog in a $400 vintage French copper pot. No money left for ingredients.

Ha ha ha. Fair comment there. My tool collecting has never been to the detriment of anything else in my life - wood purchasing included.

Jonny

That is pure and simple the joy of having a hobby - buy what you want when you want it. No need to justify or clarify, if the actual woodworking comes second to that big deal, its what brings joy and peace is key, right?

Whether you have money or not is not the issue, just don't feel embarassed if you do, some would see that as a negative, like I say, jealousy..............its's a terrible virtue :D

David

Jacob, I've long wanted to ask you how many bikes you ride, and what you have :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cycling really requires no extras. You get on the bike and ride. One can own woodworking tools but then the most expensive part has yet to be addressed - the wood - and an ongoing expense at that for the hobbyist who isn't passing this through to a client. The tools are a drop in the bucket, or should be.

CStanford":18t5rhrm said:
Cycling really requires no extras. You get on the bike and ride.

And people say Americans can't do irony or sarcasm.

You, sir, have nailed it!

BugBear

CStanford":282c9pow said:
Jacob, I've long wanted to ask you how many bikes you ride, and what you have :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cycling really requires no extras. You get on the bike and ride. One can own woodworking tools but then the most expensive part has yet to be addressed - the wood - and an ongoing expense at that for the hobbyist who isn't passing this through to a client. The tools are a drop in the bucket, or should be.

Charles, ask Jacob what his Audax costs new. I'll eat your shorts if it does not cost new a lot more than new set of LN #4, #5 1/2, #7, full roll of LN chisels, #60 1/2 block plane, and a couple of LN saws.

It is just different set of priorities. I wish Jacob all the pleasure in the world cycling around on his hobby horse. I'm sure that he wishes me well on mine.

Now about that brewing equipment you have ... :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

CStanford":3ko0pfu8 said:
aahhh, but every drop gets drunk by someone....nothing wasted. It's in constant use, not just sitting there looking nice and shiny.

Ah Charlie, but in the morning the nice and shiny tools are still there .. :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back