3 wheel buffing system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Gurus, I have seen mentioned on here the "three wheel buffing system" does anyone have a link with an overview of the set up and a link to the actual purchasing of said product....just to save me hours of trawling google and, inevitably, buying the wrong thing!!

chipmunk":3d8cf780 said:
Hi Spinks,
Instead of paying high prices for complete buffing systems packaged for timber, take a look at this guide and mops/compounds...

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/a...ompounds-for-Woods--Plastics-and-Lacquer.html

HTH
Jon

Jon,
Hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in.

The page says the sell stuff to guitar makers, etc, but none of the mops etc seem to refer to wood anywhere - do you know which ones are appropriate / comparable to eg Beall or Chestnut system?

TIA

Greg

I myself don't have a buffing system yet but it's on my radar and the one I consistently hear good reports on is the chestnut system. I've also seen that demo'd at the last 2 shows I attended.

Friends,

If it is of any interest to anyone?

I have been using the Beall system for the past 3 years and to say that the finish is impressive is an understatement.

True, the basic system is relatively expensive but the finish obtained will repay the outlay very quickly.

I purchased mine at "The Toolpost".

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Finishes/BeallBuffs/beallbuffs.html

Regards, Peter.

I must find out more about this. I cannot see that holding the object against the polisher is the right way to do it but I am more than willing to be shown otherwise. I wonder if Chestnut will actually demo theirs at Daventry tomorrow.

Grahamshed":1tms21z2 said:
I must find out more about this. I cannot see that holding the object against the polisher is the right way to do it but I am more than willing to be shown otherwise. I wonder if Chestnut will actually demo theirs at Daventry tomorrow.
I'm converted Graham and I am sure he will demonstrate if asked

hipmunk wrote:
Hi Spinks,
Instead of paying high prices for complete buffing systems packaged for timber, take a look at this guide and mops/compounds...

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acata ... cquer.html

HTH
Jon

Jon,

The page says the sell stuff to guitar makers, etc, but none of the mops etc seem to refer to wood anywhere - do you know which ones are appropriate / comparable to eg Beall or Chestnut system?

TIA

Greg

I'm interested too, is there a way of purchasing this system without spending 50 or 60 quid?

Woodmonkey":1k5b1krv said:
I'm interested too, is there a way of purchasing this system without spending 50 or 60 quid?

The Chestnut buffing set you can buy all the parts separately but like most thing it works out a little more expensive also you would really not get the benefit until you had the whole set.

Yes but you can buy wheels and compounds far cheaper than those that look very similar, what is so special about those?

Thanks for all the info guys....I shall no doubt get on one of the many sites and buy the wheel system suggested!!

Woodmonkey":f8hyqvmq said:
Yes but you can buy wheels and compounds far cheaper than those that look very similar, what is so special about those?

I have bought a couple of cheaper mops in the past and the quality of material is noticeably lacking, apart from those, I have only tried the Chestnut wheels and domes and they are very good quality and do the job properly, the compounds I cannot comment on, I still have the originals and I have not yet had to reorder.

For what you get I don't think the Chestnut system is overpriced, most cheap stuff these days is cheap for a reason and that is mostly a compromise in quality, so in the end it costs you even more because you have to replace the cheap item.

Woodmonkey":4q0i75q4 said:

Like I have repeatedly said, 90 % of the process is in the matching of the fabric stiffness and wear characteristics with the abrasive compound.

For wood turnings the mops need to be loose leaf not stitched and the fabric graded between linen and pure cotton in proportions to give the best effect.

The thing with the 'systems' regardless of which supplier is that the mop sizes and ability to change between sizes to gain access inside bowls and boxes has been optimised for ease of safe use.

Likewise mandrel design needs to be as simple as possible to fit to the lathe without having to constantly remove chucks or change fittings to suit various lathe spindles.

Saying that the abrasives or wheels look similar is about the same as saying Paint is Paint.

If you want to make finishing hard work or have a lot of frustration and possible extra expense buying unsuitable products then go ahead.

I personally am happy to go with the hours of research and trials that have been put in by the suppliers to provide a matched product that can be supplied as cost effectively as possible to stay in business.

Best thing I can advise if you have queries about the systems is to try and get to a show to see them demonstrated, there's usually a show discount into the bargain.

Woodmonkey":3iu5n8w5 said:
hipmunk wrote:
Hi Spinks,

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acata ... cquer.html

HTH
Jon

Jon,

TIA

Greg

Well the guide in the link says choose a B-grade mop for starters with tripoli compound.
Followed by a G-grade mop with Glosswax 16- Beige Polishing compound.
Finally use a WDR mop with the wax polish of your own choice - I use microcrystalline but you can use carnauba if you like.

You will need to buy a set of mops of an appropriate size (6" or 8") and a pigtail mandrel of the right size or mount them on a bit of threaded rod like this...

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Beall-Buffing-Shaft-Project.pdf

Jon

Remember on a bench grinder, one end is left hand thread and the other is right hand thread.

I understand Chas's comments about matching the correct mop material with correct compound etc, but IMO that is just not justification to charge £60 for essentially a few bits of cloth and some buffing compound.
Sometimes paint is paint, bought some emulsion from Aldi last year to paint my utility room, once it's on the wall it doesn't look any different than known brands costing twice the price.

Latest posts

Back