24" cirkular rip saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
As some of you who frequent other forums might know I am on a very long sick leave recovering from some rather serious back trouble. I am training every day and making good progress and the doctors predict a more or less full recovery. My 12 years old chronical back pain is completely gone after and I am slowly getting stronger.
I am planning to do more jonery and less carpentry than before when I recover.
To make use of those few hours a day that I am able to do productive work I putting together some good machinery from old junk and scrap yard materials on a minimum budget. They will hopefully help me get a flying start once I can work proper workdays again. Probably the coming spring.

My next project will probably be a rip saw.
Everything started several years ago when I found that I needed a rip saw with power feed. A logosol KS 150 http://www.logosol.se/store/logosol-klyvsag-ks150.html would have been ideal but that would cost way too much money.
Then I found this old rip saw.
klyvsåg1.JPG

Standing in a willow brush with moss growing on the table behind a former cattle barn. It was manufactured by Chemnitzer Werkzeugmachinenfabrik in Germany in 1885. I soaked all nuts and bolts in penetrating oil and cleaned and painted the frame and melted out the worn out white metal bearings. Had a new shaft made and bought two triple v-belt pulleys and found a very cheap secondhand 7,5 kW three phase motor. Found a secondhand industrial roller table at a scrap yard and bought it intending to use it as outfeed table.
Then the project stopped due to bad health.

Now I am planning a fresh start. I want to make this saw safe and efficient enough for a professional environment.
-Overarm blade guard
-Dust hood below the table.
-Riving knife.
-Electric motor with v-belt drive and of cause belt guard.
-Modern electrics.
-New white metal bearings.
-Some kind of power feeder.
-New fence
I have fabricated quite a bit of machine parts and guards in the past so I wiew this as totally feasible.

I just want to know if people with experience of old style rip saws in small scale industrial use have any oppinions on how things should be made to work well. Can I use an ordinary stock feeder of the type usually used for spindle moulders? Should the fence be a metal plate or should it have rollers? Suggestions on a good overarm guard design?
Hoping for some suggestions!

Attachments

• klyvsåg1.JPG
    klyvsåg1.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 802
Hi Heimlaga

Is the bed flat ? It looks like a on-site forest log-saw. Are you just rough sawing or looking at an accurate dimension saw.
Some of the "site" saws you see in the UK are not too expensive but may be more adaptable for you if you are dimensioning.

Geoff

Yep the table is flat. Planed cast iron.

I need it for dimensioning. Those site saws are just too small. I already own one. It has only some 90mm cutting depth. I need at least 150 preferably 200 mm cutting depth which this saw has.....and enough power to do such a cut efficiently.

To my knowledge 7,5 kW is pretty much industrial standard for a 600 mm carbide tipped sawblade doing heavy work. Some bigger cirkular rip saws have 15kW motors.

I think #1 priority would be h/d (roller feed) in and out feed tables.
Those timber dimensions would be pretty heavy....... don't want
To pull the back again! Geoff

Giff":1hgcddzd said:
I think #1 priority would be h/d (roller feed) in and out feed tables.
Those timber dimensions would be pretty heavy....... don't want
To pull the back again! Geoff

Yep.....I found a suitable industrial roller table plus a few spare rollers at a scrap yard. Enough to make a long outfeed table plus a short infeed table.

It's a charming old machine, but seeing how you have access to a machine shop, I think that it'd be simpler if you build a mobile bandsaw mill.
Easier handling of large timber, no roller feed, much cheaper blades, smaller motor needed, thinner kerf, larger ripping capacity...

Some day I may build a bandsaw mill.....that is one of my dreams.

I buy live edge pine slabs as they come off the bandsaw mill. The purpose of this saw would be to rip and resaw the slabs to the dimensions I need.

Here is a video of a Wadkin rip saw and some close ups of the power feed and it being operated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWeFhpJ1rJI

I dont know if a spindle moulder feed would suit as the rollers are smooth and the wood in your saw would be rough and might not have enough grip but i'm not sure.

Adjusting a spindle moulder guard would be more tedious as you would have to loosen the clamping bolt, slide the whole mechanism out and then re-tighten. It could be tedious over time.

It is a very old machine and although well made it may present many unforseen problems but it's worth it!

Good Luck!
D

Thanks

That is exactly what I am thinking....... A spindle moulder feeder might work but iI am vorrying for exactly those factors.

Building the type of feeder that you are linking to is possible but very laborious......

No way.
I started work on it today. Started fabricating a super solid dust hood from 5 mm mild steel plate. It has to be solid because the riving knife will be mounted to a bracket inside the dust hood.
I am still waiting for some white metal that I ordered for the bearings. One and a half month delivery time.

That saw on e-bay looks like it would be difficult to shift the blade........ and the prize is too high. I paid 20 euros for mine which is in better condition and probably better built.

Since the invention of internet auctions.....or thereabout.....

To me that saw on e-bay looks like it comes from a small foundry without any expertise in woodworking machinery trying to make a very cheap saw. A farmer's saw...... or some kind of site saw.
I have still not been able to figure out how to change the blade. I suppose it has ball bearings as there are no visible oil reservoir lids....... but removing the shaft to shift the blade is quite a job.......
The fence also looks very cheap and underdimensioned.

Progress is slow. I do all fabrication outdoors. Today the temperature was -25 degrees celsius and in such temperatures it is impossible to work fast.

Latest posts

Back