22mm Baltic Birch Ply in Southern UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can go there and pick your own boards. Out of every 3 BB grades one will be good on both faces or thereabouts. I often get sheet materials from Chiltern Timbers as its close to me. Their pricing on hardwood is shocking though!

thick_mike":196y7lc8 said:
I have a friend trying to source some 22mm Baltic birch ply for a speaker build.

Anyone know of a supplier in the south?

He is making these speakers...

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery.htm

And he isn't a woodworker, so he needs a supplier that can do cutting.
A slightly off topic response, but...

Those speakers should be excellent once completed, but that's not a trivial build for a non-woodworker. The chamfered design of the panels will require very good cutting tolerances too.

One other option may be to use MDF, then cover using real wood peel & stick (or PSA) veneer. It would allow some "wiggle room" in terms of the main construction not being cosmetically perfect. The reduction in cost (of MDF vs birch ply) may cover the cost of the veneer too.

Sorry, I missed your replies...I think the bloke building them has the front baffle supplied with his plans, so he just has to build the cabinet. In the end I think he went for an MDF type board (not MDF, but a similar fibre construction board).

A project like this is certainly something I will tackle in the future.

Back