2011 Forum Competition ? Does anyone fancy joining in ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Blister,

This sounds like a really great idea.

I take it there now needs to be a list of 12 projects, 1 per month, for us to work on?

By the looks of the list it seems like a lot of us haven't been turning long, this will limit those who don't have the necessary tools for certain projects. I'm thinking along the lines of hollow forms or deep vases etc. I for one don't have the tools for that work yet.

Really looking forward to the list of projects, holler if I can be of any help.

Cheers,

Lee.

OK People

Here are the 12 projects

Please make a new item , NO previously made work to be entered

January

Standard bowl. No texturing / piercing / coloring,
Any wood type, any size
Emphasis on design, tool control and finish

February
A candlestick
Any wood type, any size, Emphasis on design, tool control and finish

March
A platter, No texturing / piercing / coloring,

April
A set of 4 eggcups, Emphasis on design, tool control and finish

May
Decorated Bowl, texturing / piercing / carving / coloring all allowed

June
A Box, with push fit lid, any wood type, any size, Emphasis on design, tool control and finish

July
A decorated platter, texturing / piercing / carving coloring all allowed

August
An item of jewelry, earrings, bracelet, necklace, ring

September
A Vase, Emphasis on design, tool control and finish

October
A toy, use your imagination with this one, hand held, push along etc

November
A Goblet, Emphasis on design, tool control and finish

December
A Snowman or Christmas tree, as festive as you like

This is a mixture of face plate / chuck / spindle work , easy to start with ( January ) becoming more difficult as the months pass , some are plain and let the wood / craftsmanship show through , some are artistic , lets your imagination design and handwork take precedence Hope you like them :mrgreen:

I am really pleased to see this up and running and look forward to taking part

I will enjoy the new challenges. About the texturing, decorating, etc sorry in advance - bound to be some "how to ... " questions to forum.

Any chance of you experienced guys posting a few WIP projects on colouring, texturing etc

Regards

George Foweraker":3s5kole5 said:
Hi Allen.
Are members limited to one item only per month.
Thank you for choosing me as one of the judges.

Regards George

Yes George

one item per entrant , Please to have someone with your pedigree :lol: as a Judge :wink:

Wood spoiler":2wqtgga9 said:
I am really pleased to see this up and running and look forward to taking part

I will enjoy the new challenges. About the texturing, decorating, etc sorry in advance - bound to be some "how to ... " questions to forum.

Any chance of you experienced guys posting a few WIP projects on colouring, texturing etc

Regards

Just an idea , but I subscribe to the Woodturning mag , does not cost a fortune , lots of WIP projects and lots of our forum users doing them , you could give it a try for a year , and its cheaper on a annual subscription :mrgreen:

Hi Blister,

Sorry, I'm a bit late on this one!! (again!! :roll: :roll: ) I won't be able to enter (if this year carries on like last - fingers crossed!! :wink: ), but I would be willing to give a hand judging, whether as a judge or as someone for the judges to talk to re any particular points or pieces.

I was one of the judges for the last competition that Tom ran on here a year or so ago and it is surprisingly hard. Being a solo judge, with no one to ask a second opinion would be tough! Either way, let me know if I can help out!

Cheers

Richard

Richard Findley":ofrinzb0 said:
Hi Blister,

Sorry, I'm a bit late on this one!! (again!! :roll: :roll: ) I won't be able to enter (if this year carries on like last - fingers crossed!! :wink: ), but I would be willing to give a hand judging, whether as a judge or as someone for the judges to talk to re any particular points or pieces.

I was one of the judges for the last competition that Tom ran on here a year or so ago and it is surprisingly hard. Being a solo judge, with no one to ask a second opinion would be tough! Either way, let me know if I can help out!

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard for your kind offer =D>

Barry and George hopefully will see this post and if they get stuck can contact you by PM if that's OK with you

Blister, thanks for organising this, it's a really good idea.

I would like to enter, but i'm not sure I could commit to all 12 months/items. Would it cause any problems if I didn't enter every month?

Cheers
Mark

Latest posts

Back