2011 Forum Competition ? Does anyone fancy joining in ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello people :mrgreen:

How about a 2011 Monthly Challenge

12 different projects . one each month

Sound interesting ?

NO CRITIQUE

If I get enough interest in this , I will post some rules ( as few as possible )

I will fund 13 trophies , 12 small ones and a overall winner over 12 months

If you want to take part copy and past you name in the following posts

I am off out now for a while but will look in later and see what happening

:deer :ho2 :deer

We have seen these things on other forums and they end up fizzling out. If you are offering prizes and trophies then you you are going have to alow work to be judged and critiqued. Personally I would just have a monthly focus on a certain aspect of turning and rather than turning it into a competition or challenge.

I like the idea especially because it'll get me to spend more time in the workshop but I'd be interested in knowing what things will be judged on and what things shall be made.

Hi. Blister
Sorry to see some of the early responses. Always easy to knock.
I'm game - rubbish but game.
Having something to work towards is constructive. I think it will be good to have different focuses and making us do something outside our comfort zones is good to expand our skills.
Thanks for the effort you are prepared to make and hope something comes of it.
Regards
Colin

Melinda_dd

I'd like to have a go...being a complete beginner... could be fun!!!
(can the first thing be a toy coz I'm already working on one lol)

Count me in.

But although it's a great idea in theory, you have to have judging, and criteria on which to judge and as it's web based you are relying on good photos as well as good turning.
I find it very hard to appreciate many pieces posted because of the photography.

Thanks for offering to run it and for the prizes though! :)

gnu":l12n8f5f said:
We have seen these things on other forums and they end up fizzling out. If you are offering prizes and trophies then you you are going have to alow work to be judged and critiqued. Personally I would just have a monthly focus on a certain aspect of turning and rather than turning it into a competition or challenge.

We have not tried this on OUR forum so cant predict in advance that it will Fizzle out

I have re read my original post and cant see any mention of PRIZES :? Does this mean you are offering ?

Work can be Judged without being critiqued , If turned items are good enough to win , why be harsh on the ones that don't win ?

The main reason I posted this was to try and encourage people to have a go , 4 weeks to turn something ( Good or bad ) and show us ( Post it ) on the forum without fear of harsh critique

George Foweraker":2lvv35qz said:
Who will do the judging and what would be the criteria for judging.

Regards George

I would ask for one of our professional turners who is not taking part to be our Judge

The criteria would be if he likes it above all others then its good enough to win ( Nothing too complicated )

The_Stig":378cskc3 said:
I like the idea especially because it'll get me to spend more time in the workshop but I'd be interested in knowing what things will be judged on and what things shall be made.

Will update the post if it gets off the ground :mrgreen:

Wood spoiler":2p3gwg93 said:
Hi. Blister
Sorry to see some of the early responses. Always easy to knock.
I'm game - rubbish but game.
Having something to work towards is constructive. I think it will be good to have different focuses and making us do something outside our comfort zones is good to expand our skills.
Thanks for the effort you are prepared to make and hope something comes of it.
Regards
Colin

OK Colin

Thanks for the interest , watch this space :mrgreen:

Melinda_dd":2hzgf1j5 said:
Melinda_dd

I'd like to have a go...being a complete beginner... could be fun!!!
(can the first thing be a toy coz I'm already working on one lol)

OK , I could put a toy on the 12 projects to make list , will update soon :mrgreen:

cambournepete":1v07aw99 said:
Count me in.

But although it's a great idea in theory, you have to have judging, and criteria on which to judge and as it's web based you are relying on good photos as well as good turning.
I find it very hard to appreciate many pieces posted because of the photography.

Thanks for offering to run it and for the prizes though! :)

Thanks Pete

Hope it does get off the ground , its mainly just a bit of fun to get people involved , nothing too serious

What Prizes #-o :duno:

Hi Blister and all.

For about a year i organised a fortnightly challenge on the institute forum
It was massively popular and nearly everyone on the forum got involved.
Unfortunately after i stopped doing it and others took over it fizzled out.
This i think was because i always kept on top of it responding to every entry and encouraging members.
It was not a competition and i made sure it never got competitive.
Competition is very good but i think if you have this as a competition it will not work.
If it is to be judged on quality new turners will soon get disheartened and drop out as they would have little chance of winning.
It might be better to do it as a challenge the challenge being to produce the named item to the best of your ability.

Regards George

Personally I would prefer there to be critique, as I would like to use the "competition" in order to help me focus so I can improve, but if there is no critique then I won't know what is "wrong" with my turnings. I would like to see between centres tasks included as I that is all I can do at the moment.

Latest posts

Back