2 questions about Mitre Saws...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've never used a mitre saw before & am about to purchase one - I've done a lot of research and had a quick search of the forums, but would like to ask the following questions to anyone with experience before taking the plunge...

1. Lasers - seem like a good idea to me, or are they just a gimmick?

2. Graded/ factory re-works - I've read quite a few happy endings but would like to know if anyone has ever regretted buying one!

Thanks

Hi and Welcome Perry. I can answer part of your question of sorts as i have bought a couple of factory reworks. I bought a De Walt 718 SCMS and also the De Walt stand for it from a company advertising on e-bay. Both are great and good value for money. My saw did arrive with a damaged part to it but this I suspect was done in transit and after a call to the company they sent a new part out next day! (I prefered this to sending the item back as it is big and heavy) Once out of the box and with the part fitted the saw was brilliant and didn't need much setting up at all as it was spot on. I also bought the laser attachement for it too as I find them very useful if set up correctly. If you decide to buy a mitre saw I would recommend buying a good quality make as the cheaper ones tend to be innacurate. HTH. :wink:

hello Perry
Lasers--Mine doesn't have one and if I was buying again, I would not pay extra for one. Like you, I have heard a lot of pros and cons.

Buying refurbs--I purchased a 10" refurbed and it looked and operated like new. I sold it and bought a 12" for bigger cutting capacity (new).

Welcome to the forum by-the-way.

Travis

Perry":2szlmyy6 said:
1. Lasers - seem like a good idea to me, or are they just a gimmick?

Had one on my old sliding mitre saw - never used it except to play on the first day I got the saw. No advantage in one I could see and I was actually more accurate with a pencil line and the blade stationary pressed against it to line it up

I would not include a laser as a criteria in your buying decision

Thanks, that's fantastic!

Joining the forum with the help of you guys has already saved me around £120 - the only problem is that saving opens up a lot more options with my budget!!.....

A good laser might be good but I think this is something you'd buy as an extra if you wanted one. The ones fitted to most the saws are no more sophisicated than a cheap laser pen/pointer thingy and mounted on wobbly bits of bent metal.

I use a Rexon 10" Saw - 1800w from B&Q. (in fact the company has 2 of them) They work well. Never replaced the brushes despite being used daily. Very well balanced, the trigger and safety catch work just right without the need to increase the muscles in my thumb. I keep looking for the one I'm going to replace it with when it finally gives up but I've not found anything to match it.

The only negatives are occasionaly you need to set the saw square to the table an dit's noisy like all brush motors are.

Hi Perry, I purchased a Macallister from B/Q, works well and the laser is okay but I have to keep cleaning the lens, for my money the laser is not needed but when I buy the next one I'll make sure it has "detente" settings as I have found that with the type I have where you just tighten the handle when the arrow is lined up with the scale, you tend to get "creep" and I have to keep checking with my square after every cut.
regards,
Rich.

Lasers are usually a bit hit and miss. Dropping the blade onto the pencil line is usually much more accurate.

I have had lasers on a couple of saws and they seem normally to be a gimmic and only help with rough alignment. Its a trust thing and I dont trust them.

However...... I do have a Kapex and that is the exception to the rule. I can trust it every time. But at a price consideration.

Marky.

Personally I think lasers are dependant on the make/model.
DeWalts 718 model and the small Makita LS0714LX both have excellent lasers. both have very fine beams that are easily adjusted for either side of the blade as needed, but most beneficial is the positioning of the beam itself when in use.
It allows the laser to fire not only across the work, but also down the front edge so you can align it to a mark on an edge as well as a face. Maybe not for fine cabinetry, but invaluable for second fix chippies and the like as you don't need to transfer marks on mitres etc.
Lasers are gadgets on most things, but a fine accurate beam on a mitresaw is worth having in my opinion.

cheers,

Andy

Perry I have the same saw and laser as Mailee and along with the saw the laser is great.

If you buy cheap your going to get mixed results, especially if you buy the type

Chicken_run_man wrote
The ones fitted to most the saws are no more sophisicated than a cheap laser pen/pointer thingy and mounted on wobbly bits of bent metal.

talks about, and I can tell you the Dewalt is nothing like this. in fact if you buy something like that you are asking for trouble.

At the end of the day its each to his own, and I certainly think a GOOD laser is worth having.

One thing I will say is buy the best mitre saw you can afford.

Good luck with what ever you decide to buy.

Cheers

Mike

Perry":owsjatz2 said:
Thanks, that's fantastic!

Joining the forum with the help of you guys has already saved me around £120 - the only problem is that saving opens up a lot more options with my budget!!.....

Welcome to the slippery slope Perry. :lol:

Hi Perry and welcome to the forum.
I bought a Dewalt 703 compound mitre saw for £169 at B&Q last year and I have never regretted it, a great piece of kit. Accurate detents at all the common angles and easily tuned if it gets out of whack. I thought long and hard about cheaper saws and also ones with bigger capacity (sliders). In the end I decided that the DW offered the best value for money for me as a DIYer and hobby woodworker. If I occasionally need a larger capacity cut I can either do it on my Triton workcentre or with a hand held circular saw.

Thank you for all the advice & information - after weighing up the pros & cons I have bought a 'graded' Makita LS0714 without a laser (the cheapest option I could find with a laser (the LS0714L) was £75 more expensive & although it would've been handy from time to time I simply couldn't justify the extra). If it arrives as described in "as new" condition it will have been a bargain - I'll keep you posted & look forward to getting stuck in!

Back