2 morse taper with m33 thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":3bj6iu39 said:
Most small lathes only go down to 8tpi I think. I am pretty sure my Super7 is 8tpi minimum.

Yes that's the problem with my 9 X 20, I can force the ratios down by adding an additional 80 tooth gear but I'm pretty sure it would then be down to cutting thread by hand powering the carriage lead screw rather than the spindle.
Gearing

CHJ":16imxo2w said:
Rorschach":16imxo2w said:
Most small lathes only go down to 8tpi I think. I am pretty sure my Super7 is 8tpi minimum.

Yes that's the problem with my 9 X 20, I can force the ratios down by adding an additional 80 tooth gear but I'm pretty sure it would then be down to cutting thread by hand powering the carriage lead screw rather than the spindle.
Gearing

For short threads I actually prefer to hand power anyway, not only is it controllable but I find it just as fast, especially for metric threads since reversing is so easy. For short threads it makes much more sense in my mind and really takes the worry out of it.

CHJ":3tlcjv0p said:
John, what exactly are you doing with Rotary Table mounted Chuck, is it for milling/machining loads or just centralizing for low load indexing/marking work?

A few months ago there was a series of articles in Woodturning magazine on the subject of simple ornamental turning on a standard woodlathe. The process was to turn a bowl or platter... whatever, and remove it from the lathe but leaving it still mounted in the chuck. A compound table was then fitted to the ways, and a rotary table fitted to this. The chuck with the workpiece was then mounted to the rotary table and cutters were fitted to the lathe spindle. Very controllable and repeatable cuts can then be made to the workpiece by using the x and y adjustments and the indexing on the rotary table. I just thought that this was a process that offered me hours of fun and excitement in exploring its potential. Involving a small router in the plan also offers all sorts of opportunities. I’m sure il probably loose interest in the process once I’ve had a go, this usually the case! The first hurdle to overcome is mounting a chuck securely to a rotary table!

I take it you need a flange to clamp on your table, have you any idea what diameter and any finite details of fixing holes/centres to match your key slots required?
Something like this.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.12_21h08m44s_003_.jpg

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.12_21h08m44s_003_.jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.12_21h08m44s_003_.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 652
Chas, since I don’t as yet own a rotary table (or the other parts) as yet, I couldn’t say where the hole centres would need to be. Just looking at the 4inch tables on Chronos they all seem to have 4 slots so I assume as long as 2 holes are on a diameter of the table a chuck mount plate should be able to be bolted through and centred on the mt2 taper.

We've been playing.

Thread bosses in PLA.
Cole jaw replacement collars in flexible PL A.
P_20171117_small.jpg

Attachments

• P_20171117_small.jpg
    P_20171117_small.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 571

Latest posts

Back