2 morse taper with m33 thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for some way to fix a faceplate to the tailstock for a jig I am going to make to glue segmented rings and keep them centered, I am looking for a 2 morse taper with m33 thread to fix the faceplate to, is there such a thing available

I purchased a reversing adapter made by Holdfast from Turners Retreat, but I can't see it on their web site now.

If you think M 33 was difficult to find, you should try finding one with a 1 1/4 inch X8 to fit my Nova 1624. About 12 months ago I had one sent from the US. Teknatool Nova actually sell them in the states, but not in the uk ! I was very close to having one made for me, but it turned out to dear but not exceptionally to have one sent over from the states. Glad I did, I use it all the time in my segmented builds. What would interest me now would be the same sort of thing but with a back plate that could be bolted to a rotary table so that some level of ornamental turning could be undertaken. Once again these can be found for many threads but not for my Nova 1 1/4 x 8. Chronos do them for a 1 1/2 inch x 8 lathe, and perhaps I could find someone who could turn it down ? I notice that RDG tools are at Harrogate this year, so I might see what they can do.

Why not use a drill chuck in the tailstock and use a bit of hefty plywood with a bolt through the middle ?

Thank you all for your help, Honest John I did have a Nova 1624 and had the same problem, I had to use a drill chuck as Woodfarmer suggested, my idea was to make a longworth chuck and fix it to a faceplate on the tailstock for centering rings for segmented turning, but I am now thinking of having it free standing, like the segment stomper which can be seen on you tube, and have the lathe free all the time, I did order the morse taper 2 x m33 thread from Turners Retreat as I will use it for other things

I used all sorts of lash ups to achieve the required cantering, including a drill chuck in the tail stock. I also turned a 2 MT taper on a wooden faceplate, that worked quite well. The proper part does provide a more accurate and strong arrangement to be used. What I did on my last build was to produce the open segmented form on 2 chucks, effectively in two halves. For final assembly, a chuck can be mounted in the head and tailstock and the two parts brought together. The outside profile can then be turned or refined without actually gluing the parts together, still allowing access to the inside surfaces. The mt chuckmount is such a useful bit for kit I’m amazed 5hat they ar3 not more freely available here as they seem to be in the states. Phip, if I come across your size il let you know.

MT2 arbours are not difficult to turn up yourself if you have a metal lathe or friend with a metal lathe. Luckily for me a myford thread arbour was very cheap and easy to find and when I have needed other threads I have just made my own.

For low load alignment purposes I'm going to be trialling some printed collars, currently being printed as I type but it will be about a month before I'll know if they are usable.

1-1/2" X 6
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.09_12h42m10s_002_.jpg

1-1/4" X 8
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.09_13h01m38s_003_.jpg

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.09_12h42m10s_002_.jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.09_12h42m10s_002_.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,876
  • Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.09_13h01m38s_003_.jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.09_13h01m38s_003_.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,873
1.5.jpg

First printed part today.

1-1/2" X 6 TPI

Attachments

• 1.5.jpg
    1.5.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,793
thread.jpg

1-1/4" x 8 joins the collection for trial.

Attachments

• thread.jpg
    thread.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 1,758
murphy":1cl0v8ku said:
,,,,,, Honest John I did have a Nova 1624 and had the same problem,,,,,,

If you backtrack on the link Alpha-Dave posted by one level you'll see at the bottom of the page they sell 3 adapters. M33 x 3.5, 1" x 8tpi and a 1.25" x 8tpi.

Some rotary tables have a morse taper in the centre hole that could take the above but you'll need to be able to put a drawbar or bolt in to keep it from coming loose when doing the decorating. So that would mean cutting off the tang and drilling and tapping it.

There are lots of backing plates with a 1 1/2" thread on it for Myford lathes chucks to clamp to rotary tables. You could have that thread turned off and a 1 1/4" one cut to fit your chucks.

Pete

As pointed out below Myford is incorrect. It should read Boxford.

Easily done, didn't want to appear arrogant with my correction there but also didn't want someone to buy a Myford thread and find it was wrong.

Inspector, thank you for your post. It’s heartening to see Turners Retreat stocking 1 1/4 X 8 chuck mounts. I would certainly have bought one of these had they been available at the time. I’m sure they weren’t. ! The one I imported from the states was made by/for Nova and had a short stubby MT2 taper. This is ideal to fit into a revolving centre, or indeed a rotary table. Not sure how the full sized taper would go on? I’m still on the lookout for a chuckmount with a backplate on it so that it can be bolted to the rotary table. The ones I’ve seen of these also have a short stubby mt2 taper on them. I’ve seen one offered with a Boxford thread of 1 1/2 X 8 and that should I think be capable of being turned down to 1 1/4 X 8 , but not by me as I haven’t the kit or knowledge to do it!

Problem is most small home workshop lathes can't go down to 6 TPI (power and gearbox/leadscrew loads) so not so many folks can help.

John, what exactly are you doing with Rotary Table mounted Chuck, is it for milling/machining loads or just centralizing for low load indexing/marking work?

Most small lathes only go down to 8tpi I think. I am pretty sure my Super7 is 8tpi minimum.

Back