1st piece!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyDavidson

Established Member
Reaction score
well the lathe is set up and I have made my first item. It isn't quite a 36" wide pewter lined hollow form, but it is made.

It is oak, made with a roughing gouge, parting tool and an 1/8th inch spindle gouge. they are from a pretty cheap set and not sharpened so by the end it was pretty tough going. Must get the grinder set up this week...

I am also thinking I should add a bowl gouge and a round nose scraper to the tool quiver.

Finished with sanding sealer and friction polish.

I have learnt a lot through making it and can't wait for the next piece, after I have sharpened the tools!

feedback welcomed as always.

IMG_4505.jpg

Good first effort,
a word of warning though, a roughing gouge is not the tool to use with wood in that orientation, it's intended for use on spindles, I.E. when the grain is parallel to the lathe bed not on endgrain as in your piece.
A serious catch could result in the roughing gouge bending at the tang with the risk of injury to yourself.

Nothing wrong with that Toby, a good first go.

From the shin on it, it looks like you`ve got the hang of finishing as well.

Well done, i look forward to seeing your progress.

A lot better than my first attempt Toby, looks like a good start to me!

The first tool set I had was a Marples six-piece (long since unavailable). I still have them and always found them useful for small items, once they'd been sharpened properly of course!

CHJ":1fh7jsr7 said:
Good first effort,
a word of warning though, a roughing gouge is not the tool to use with wood in that orientation, it's intended for use on spindles, I.E. when the grain is parallel to the lathe bed not on endgrain as in your piece.
A serious catch could result in the roughing gouge bending at the tang with the risk of injury to yourself.
Especially if you are using a cheap set of tools. Personally I only use a roughing gouge to round of square sindles or logs that I chiuck straight in the lathe. Often use a 1.2" gowl gouge istead on smaller stuff havig bent the tang of a cheap roughing gouge at right angles when I first started.

Oak is not an easy wood to turn well IME and using blunt cheap tools as well. you obviously have the knack. Looks good from here.#

pete

Nice shape and finish,and the grooves add just enough detail to the piece - so get yourself a decent bowl gouge,and show us what else you can do.. :wink:

Andrew

Bowl gouge and a round nosed scraper already ordered!

The tools set was a gift to get me going so I will gradually use - replace - upgrade as I go.

I do now see how this hobby can cost a bit.....

Back