14" (or so) vintage wooden planes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Seaton jack looks to have the iron further forward and also a rather short iron?

Andy, do you also have good pictures of the smoother from the seaton chest?

ED65":36bkeubf said:
AndyT":36bkeubf said:
[A few years ago there was a long rambling thread about an 'obelisk' trade mark which Jimi had spotted. It took me an embarrassingly long time to track down where I had seen it before - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mystery-obelisk-spotted-but-it-gets-away-t60984.html.]
Further confirmation if needed, I have an Emir jack and this is what I found stamped on the cap iron once I finally got the blasted thing out of the plane:

ZYlkLpx.jpg

Blow me down, Ed, that's a goodun! I don't suppose you know the reason for the choice of the obelisk as well do you? And why you weren't on here four years ago?! :lol:

Corneel":rbp9b23g said:
The Seaton jack looks to have the iron further forward and also a rather short iron?

'Fraid not - only of the finely fitted drawer for the chisels and gouges

20150501_104031_zpsovcivbrm.jpg

and the odd saw,

20150501_111520_zpsgxrawtna.jpg

but they are off topic, so I won't put the pictures up... :wink:

Never mind Andy. I was just looking for some examples.

Btw the jacks from Seaton have a 47,5 degree bedding angle. That helps too.

AndyT":1h6u1c01 said:
Corneel":1h6u1c01 said:

'Fraid not - only of the finely fitted drawer for the chisels and gouges

20150501_104031_zpsovcivbrm.jpg

and the odd saw,

20150501_111520_zpsgxrawtna.jpg

but they are off topic, so I won't put the pictures up... :wink:

The seaton saws handle aesthetics are better than anything else I've seen with the possible exception of saws that George Wilson made for himself.

The lines in how they're chosen and then how crisp they are are just unmatched.

AndyT":2n0bcfqh said:
And why you weren't on here four years ago?! :lol:
Well it wouldta helped as I only found the plane last year :lol:

No clue about the obelisk, sorry.

Here's some photo's of the 14" Jacks I have. The one with a closed handle has a 1 3/4" Hearnshaw iron and no makers mark, all I know about it is that it came from a joblot in Scotland, originally had a large blob on the heel which, together with the rather primitive initials dug into the side probably indicate it originally came from a school. I ground a camber on it and, possibly due to my lack of space (I have a 4'x2' bench and couldn't use the ends) found it a very handy size. The pronounced curve on the top of the handle means that I have never felt that the iron was too close, although there are hammer marks. (Not from me - I blame the kids!)

The other three were sold to me by the grandson of the original owner, who worked I seem to remember, in the 1930's as a furniture maker. They are all modified and were working tools. Embarrassingly I've had them for quite a while and done nothing with them. The sole of one has a pronounced camber, another quite a gentle camber - any ideas on why that was?

Cheerio,

Carl

Attachments

• 14a.JPG
    14a.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 14b.JPG
    14b.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 522
  • 14c.JPG
    14c.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 522
Carl P":33id2m1n said:
The other three were sold to me by the grandson of the original owner, who worked I seem to remember, in the 1930's as a furniture maker.

Interesting to know that not all 14" razee jacks were sold to schools.

BugBear

Corneel":34io935l said:
Carl, may I ask you to meassure how close the mouth is to the front of the plane? I am just curious.

It's around 4" on the closed handle plane (front of mouth 3.85", rear of mouth 4.2", Mouth size around .35")

I counted pixels in Gimp, then used the known length of the planes to calibrate; the image
is roughly 39.3 pixels to the physical inch.

BugBear

That puts the rear end of the mouth at 0.3 from the total length. I used 0.33 (a ratio of 1:2). That accounts for a cm extra space in this closed handle plane. That's very valuable on a short plane like that.

I've gone to my bookshelf to see which catalogues were offering 14" planes;

Strelinger (USA) 1897; length of jack not listed ( :-( ), but 22" and 26" planes offered in razee design.
Preston 1909; jacks listed from 16" to 18", BUT technical or sunk handle, 14" with 2" iron
Melhuish 1925; Jacks are 17" long, BUT Technical jack plane, special pattern with striking button, as supplied
to technical schools throughout the country, 14" long 2" cutter
Buck & Hickman, 1935. Jacks, length not given ( :-( ) ; technical or sunk handle jack plane "to 15 in long", blades 2", 2⅛", 2¼"

I think the overall pattern is clear enough. :D

BugBear

Hi Corneel,

Some measurements of the closed handle plane:

Height - 71mm

Distance of bed to toe, top - 161mm (the others are all 169mm), sole - 104.5

the handle is 97mm at its highest.

Hope that helps

Carl

Thanks Carl. Most of the meassurements are not much different from my plane, only the mouth is a little further forward. And 1 cm makes a lot of difference at the handle/blade interference spot.

I had presumed that English planes had the mouth at 1/3 of the length, but it is actually at 0.3. I changed that aspect in the smoother I am making, and it really helps to get a better "handle" at the rear end.

Back