10" Charnwood/Axi/Record etc saws. Removal of base...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugalis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone on here removed the bottom portion of the base from the above saws and then mounted it onto a cabinet/bench?

I've got a TS200 which isn't up to scratch for what we need any more so looking to upgrade. Space is at a premium so we have the ts200 sat on a 7 x 3 work bench.

I noticed that all of the saws come in 2 sections. Is there any reason why I couldn't remove the bottom section and mount the saw onto my bench?

The bench is made from 2x4 CLS studs and can take a huge amount of weight. It has 6 castors rated to 200kg each so I don't think the weight would be an issue, more that there are bits that hang down....lol

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

I have the axi 10 inch saw. From memory, I think you would be OK. When it arrives on the pallet the top half sits on the pallet base, much like you would mount it on your bench. A couple of points do cross my mind (they don't have far to go), extraction may be a problem as the duct exits at the bottom of the machine, and once in position the weight of it will make it a dog to move. Might be a bit high, depending on the height of your bench - somewhere close to chest height for the table.

Thanks

What Skeetstar said.

I have the SIP 01332 which I think is similar. Can't you just put a wheel kit or mobile base on it like many of us do?

Do you mean remove the stand, or remove the actual pressed steel body that is underneath the cast iron table?

If you mean the stand, they sell it without the stand, and the body has holes for you to bolt it onto whatever you want - so the answer is fairly apparent there...

However, if you mean detach the body from the table that might be a bit more involved. The blade and motor mechanism are attached to the table, but you'd have remount all the switch gear and lower/raise mechanisms etc. You may as well just bolt the body to a bench. You won't be saving much space.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Sorry guys I think I didn't give a very good explanation of what I meant up there

I have a 7 x 3 bench with a cut out in the top. The TS200 fits into the cut out and sits on a raised area so the cast iron table top is flush with the surrounding table. Sort of like a mobile bench with side/out feed tables. Doe make more sense? I will put a picture up when I get in from work.

The saw we are looking at buying is the AW10BSB2 or one of the other variants of that design.

My bad for the rubbish explanation....it had been a long day!

Bodgers":32d45g40 said:
Do you mean remove the stand, or remove the actual pressed steel body that is underneath the cast iron table?

If you mean the stand, they sell it without the stand, and the body has holes for you to bolt it onto whatever you want - so the answer is fairly apparent there...

However, if you mean detach the body from the table that might be a bit more involved. The blade and motor mechanism are attached to the table, but you'd have remount all the switch gear and lower/raise mechanisms etc. You may as well just bolt the body to a bench. You won't be saving much space.

I didn't think they sold it without the stand Bodgers just delivered not assembled so interesting.
You're right about removing the main carcase though, having had mine stripped down recently I can see all sorts of problems doing that.

Bob

Tugalis":3995g059 said:
Sorry guys I think I didn't give a very good explanation of what I meant up there

I have a 7 x 3 bench with a cut out in the top. The TS200 fits into the cut out and sits on a raised area so the cast iron table top is flush with the surrounding table. Sort of like a mobile bench with side/out feed tables. Doe make more sense? I will put a picture up when I get in from work.

The saw we are looking at buying is the AW10BSB2 or one of the other variants of that design.

My bad for the rubbish explanation....it had been a long day!
Looking at that modal on the Axy site, it looks like the lower third would disconnect so you essentially end up with the top two thirds that you would then mount somewhere. This is significantly bigger than a TS200 though, so you'd probably have an interesting job moving and mounting the top part. Have a look at the pictures and download the manual.

I think there are forum members that own this saw (and variants of) so they might give you a better idea.

I've got the AW12BSB2, you could remove the bottom four panels and sit the top half on something else. I think the extraction cowl that surrounds the blade may just descend slightly below the joint line so it might need to sit on a frame if you intend to sit it above a flat surface. Also, as stated above, the extraction port is a hole in the rear lower panel, so you would need cut a new port, the panel directly above the original port would probably be best for that.
Apart from that, the lower half is just an empty box, I have thought I might utilise that at some point.

Back