A bit of recycling made my shop more comfortable.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
About a month or so ago i got a call from my son asking if i wanted any insulation for my shop roof as it was one of the things that was not done when i built it ( it had been on my "to Do" list for 20 yearso_O). When i asked him what type/quantity he had no idea , only saying that a pal of his has a firm that installs ducting and they had to rip out a load of stud walls that hid away a load of ducting installed to the wrong sizes/specs . All the insulation/ducting and timber from the stud walls was going in a skip and his pal who i have known since he was born knew from some random conversation with my Wife that i was not spending much time in the shop because of the cold. So i took a punt and said OK yes please and waited to see just what might land at my font door :eek:. Two weeks ago a big Merc sprinter pulls up and without me even having to lift a finger 20 full size and about 6/7 part sheets of 25mm Recticel , all had a few small holes from the fixings ,some small dings and the odd cut out here and there , but by and large they were in pretty good shape and there was more than enough insulation to let me cut out the bad bits:). Also on the back of the van was 18 lengths of 2X4 cls, all around 2/3m long and that made me a very happy chappy indeed .
No time like the present says I and i cracked on with getting it done . Pictures are a bit (maybe a lot) hit and miss but they give a general idea . Cut a load of battens from some of that 2x4 and then went into battle with the contents stored over years up in the rafters . It was tough going clearing a section and fixing battens/insulation, as everything was done off a pair of steps,then moving it all back before moving on to next section. Was not possible to clear the lot and do it in one simply due to lack of anywhere at ground level to put it all.
Took around a Week to complete the roof with 50mm of the Recticel and there was a load left over still , so the outside shack that houses my extractor got a make over to keep it snug as well :). Still had a fair bit left over and reluctant to have to throw it out so i moved on to removing all contents of my under bench drawers and cupboards:eek: and whacking in 50mm on the backs and bottoms, unit by unit X 13 . Guess what :sleep: yep still got a bit left :cry: but i have plan for that later when i make an enclosure for my little mobile vac which is great but very very loud :(.

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_152158.jpg
    IMG_20220108_152158.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220113_140457.jpg
    IMG_20220113_140457.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 73
:)

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_152106.jpg
    IMG_20220108_152106.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20220108_152126.jpg
    IMG_20220108_152126.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20220108_152145.jpg
    IMG_20220108_152145.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20220113_140337.jpg
    IMG_20220113_140337.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 52
Last two pics show the little pile that is being kept and two bags for tip (y)(y)

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_140412.jpg
    IMG_20220113_140412.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220124_190329.jpg
    IMG_20220124_190329.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220124_190311.jpg
    IMG_20220124_190311.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220124_190329.jpg
    IMG_20220124_190329.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 30
:)Already have a stove in there Mike and it would get the shop warm enough but it was a furious beast constantly needing feeding :eek: to keep the temp up. I have a small heated towel rail by the sink that gives out a nice amount of heat so i suppose i could leave it on all the time. Daft thing is when building i made sure the walls were insulated but at the time never had enough cash for the roof ,sure it was cold but nice and dry with no damp so i just got used to it and put on extra layers as needed.

:)Already have a stove in there Mike and it would get the shop warm enough but it was a furious beast constantly needing feeding :eek: to keep the temp up. I have a small heated towel rail by the sink that gives out a nice amount of heat so i suppose i could leave it on all the time. Daft thing is when building i made sure the walls were insulated but at the time never had enough cash for the roof ,sure it was cold but nice and dry with no damp so i just got used to it and put on extra layers as needed.
Ok but don't forget that insulation itself doesn't make your workshop warm, it just retains the heat generated by you and your towel rail for longer 😉

I start the first phase of my new workshop build soon and I had rather romantic ideas about a wood stove fed from offcuts until I read several posts here and realised it may be overkill and not terribly effective, not to mention a lot of hassle, so now plan to totally insulate then install a 24/7 dehumidifier first and possibly a small 24/7 oil filled rad if it needs more background heat.

I now wish an insulation fairy would descend on my place and leave a pile of 2nd hand sheets - you're a lucky chap!

I got what they could stuff in the van on the way home from the job Mike , have since learned that a 40 yarder still ended going to the tip full of it plus most of the timber from the stud walls:cry::cry::cry:.
Just waiting for the Fairy to drop me off a roll or two of that sticky silver tape to try and neaten things up a bit :).
Good luck with your new build and should that fairy fly by again i will point it in your direction :LOL:

Last edited:
Indeed it is Bourbon and over the years i have had a few good hauls from skips or stuff destined to be skipped, I could tell you stories about stuff in skips but then you would have nightmares ;);):)

The reason they skip it is because time is money it takes too many man hours to move it out & then where do you put it? then somones got to sell it & what it fetches wont recoup the cost of moving & storing it. In the meantime the rubbish is stopping the work flow due to lack of space.
But a lot of stuff is skipped that is just plain immoral.

Latest posts

Back