1/8 inch bandsaw blade question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got my eye on a well preserved kity 613. This bandsaw seems spec'd for 1/4 inch blades and up but i would like to be able to put a 3mm blade on it. There are only a few bandsaws that are spec'd to receive 3mm bandsaw blades. What makes a bandsaw accept 3mm blades or is it possible to put it on any of the smaller machines ?

You can almost certainly put a 3mm blade (or narrower) on it. Mine is spec'd for 6mm but I use a 1/16" blade for dovetails.

The problem is the blade guides, which must support the body of the blade without damaging the teeth. That gets pretty difficult with such narrow blades. So the answer is to use blade guides that do not damage the teeth.

I'm not familiar with that particular saw, but if it has square-section guide blocks you can simply replace them with Cool Blocks or even wooden blocks. Mine has steel disks and I face them with MDF disks. The teeth cut the MDF, of course, but only at the edges, so the blade is still supported.
S

Thanks Steve for the thumbs up. It has roller bearings above and block under the table.

Good tip on, the mdf pads. That's another cup of tea you've spared me :wink: :lol:

Back