0.5 micron filters or put machine outside?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
We are told that filtering down to .5 micron is essential for health. Yet on the low speed high volume chip/dust extractors, such filters are an extra cost > £100.

I assume that all filtering is upstream of the exhaust outlet, so that if the exhaust ( or the complete extractor ) is in a different space to the workshop, then no need for expensive add on filters. Correct deduction ?

Outside not too bad in the winter either if you can control the replacement air path.
I'm fortunate to be able to open a window that allows a direct short path airflow to the extractors and does not seriously lower the basic background heat.

There is another solution which keeps the unit inside the workshop but still sucks out the heat though.

In my old workshop I replaced the top filter bag with an upturned bucket and a length of 110mm waste pipe with a 90 degree bend stuffed through the wall. This vented all of the light weight dust outside and the heavy stuff fell into the waste sack as normal. It worked a treat and had the added benefit of keeping the extractor handy and the extractor pipes short. It also meant that there wasn't a filter to get clogged at all so gave maximum suck all of the time.

I now have a twin motor Canvac which not only keeps the heat in the workshop but generates heat too. On the downside it's hot in summer, noisy and the filter gets clogged after a relatively short time. I don't think there is ever a perfect system.

Jon

Good point abut clogged filters on camvac and similar.

I don't understand why the high speed low volume camvac machine can make do with a paper bag costing £small whereas on the low speed high volume chip/ dust types, it is well over £100 to get the same result

Current wisdom is to convert your single stage DC to a two stage DC

Between DC and machine add a dust separator eg Thien Separator Phil Thien or buy something similar butmore expensive.

You really need to filter down to 0.3 microns so adding a pleated filter on top of your bagged DC is a good idea. If too pricey then try a 5 micron bag.

With this two stage DC you should get good filtration.

A Thien separator should cost you not more than £40 or less

Al

chipmunk":3v7xxpmt said:
In my old workshop I replaced the top filter bag with an upturned bucket and a length of 110mm waste pipe with a 90 degree bend stuffed through the wall. This vented all of the light weight dust outside and the heavy stuff fell into the waste sack as normal. It worked a treat and had the added benefit of keeping the extractor handy and the extractor pipes short. It also meant that there wasn't a filter to get clogged at all so gave maximum suck all of the time.

Jon
After much deliberation, I did something very similar. It works a treat!

Surely a 5 micron filter will allow the dangerous particles through to enter your lungs? I thought that was the idea of having a 0.5 micron filter.

K

To help reduce small size dust particles in the workshop I added a little lean to shed to my workshop, I have two dust extractors. one with a filter bag and one with a big thein baffle which then vents straight outside. I also keep my HPLV hoover and compressor in their. It makes the place alot quieter

Back