£10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst on the 'beer nostalgia' tack - also remember Red Barrel & Tartan - Specific reason? - When I was 17, my father told me "When you start drinking, lad, whatever you do leave the Guinness alone - it's vile stuff" - I took this advice on board and always drank Brew 11 or Red Barrel - until I discovered Tartan; On one occasion asking for a pint of Tartan, I was told it was 'off'; looking along the bar I said to my 'mate' "Have you ever tried Guinness"? He hadn't so we order two halves. -- - -- we hadn't taken more than a couple of swallows before we ordered two more Pints! - I've seldom touched any kind of bitter ever since!
The first time I ever ventured into a pub(as opposed to buying bottles from the off-licence, "it's for my mum"), I ordered a pint of Guinness, simply because I wanted to appear confident, and it was the first brand name that came to mind. It was the Mason's Arms in Thames Ditton, and I seem to remember it costing three shillings and sixpence, although that's sounds really expensive when I think about the cost of draught bitter a year or so later. I was fourteen at the time, and I nearly threw up. I love a pint of Guinness these days. I happened to meet the landlord from the Mason's Arms at that period some decades later in Ireland. He had no memory of the incident...

I said apparently (once again). Many beers and ales were made then at a low proof, 3.3% or thereabouts, dark beers sometimes even weaker. I knew a chap with a prodigious appetite for the local stuff and one day someone decided to have a count on a market day. The pubs opened at 10.00am, stayed open all day and the night club closed at 2am. Several talleymen worked in shifts, and counted he'd had fifty eight pints over the day.
Must be something in the Cornwall water. I've a friend in Blackwater, and the last time he came to stay the night we found 10 empty Doom Bar cans in the morning. I could have just about managed that 20 years ago, but he's pushing 70, like me.
58 is incredible.

I have just received my £10. I have donated it directly into the NHS because it is more important that nurses can eat and stay warm than for me to buy another tool or tip wine down my throat. Think about it...you are going to need our nurses selfless skills one day!
I work for the NHS, some beautiful cars in the car park…

I work for the NHS, some beautiful cars in the car park…
They'll probably belong to the surgeons & visiting consultants. - The nurses can't afford to use the car park. They have to park their old bangers off-site and walk in to work.

They'll probably belong to the surgeons & visiting consultants. - The nurses can't afford to use the car park. They have to park their old bangers off-site and walk in to work. I doubt
I doubt it, the car park’s free and no surgery takes place there.

Back