Workbench from recycled timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got a round tuit.

Very limited budget, but in need of a substantial bench, here it is.

Legs, rails and other bits were from a Cabin Bed ( :?: ) £5 at auction, the top was a pine headboard (32mm) £3 at auction, the drawer unit was a discarded dressing table.

You may ask why is the vice not located at the end of the bench - answer - my workshop is very small and the bench has to be positioned against a l-h wall, so this is a compromise. (You can see the size of my workshop in photo 2 below, I commandeered the garage for the space to build the bench)

Beneath the pine top there is a sheet of 30mm kitchen worktop (my old workbench!), giving a total thickness in excess of 60mm. Size 1700mm by 700mm. Height 92mm.

The final stage will to drill dog holes - something along the lines of Olly's bench - copyright allowing :? :oops: :D I hope to invest in the Veritas bench dog/vice system eventually.

IMGP2925Small.jpg

IMGP2926Small.jpg

IMGP2927Small.jpg

IMGP2928Small.jpg

IMGP2929Small.jpg

Total cost £8 plus the second-hand vice.

Thanks for looking

Dave

I like your approach and that looks a really useful bench.

Have you considered fixing it down to the floor at all? - it doesn't have to be permanent, but can make a big difference when hand planing or morticing.

great stuff Dave =D>

very resouceful use of a valuable resource. :)

I'm sure it will give you great service - soon get your money back I think. (I take it you are of Scottish persuasion )

Bob

Thanks for all your comments, like head clansman I enjoy the challenge of recycling timber. As I have mentioned in other posts - auction rooms are a good source of used timber, especially old furniture which can yield some fine hardwoods. 8)

Andy - the bench is very heavy so I hope to avoid having to fix it down, but thanks for the idea. :idea:

Bob, no, just a Sassenach (Devonshire boy) keeping my head down in Fife :shock: :shock:

Dave

Bob, no, just a Sassenach (Devonshire boy) keeping my head down in Fife

Ah right Dave - you've picked up the local traits then :lol:

Just joking all you Scottish guys, some of my best mates are from over the border.
That reminds me - definately my mate Johns' turn to buy a round. The excuse that they don't take Scottish fivers is wearing a bit thin :?

Bob

Great use of materials! Don't worry about 'copying' my dog hole arrangement - I take it as a form of flattery :D (though, it's hardly unique! :wink:). I think I set mine at 200mm centres but, there have been times where I wish I'd made that only 150mm. Two rows works well (one front, one back) with another row in the middle (offset between the others).

Back